Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires,rims,suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, Aug 27, 2000.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 90 BLAZER. I AM GOING TO BE PUTTING A 4IN RANCHO LIFT W/9000'S ALL AROUND. ANY HELPFUL HINTS ON PUTTING IN MY LIFT? THE NEXT THING IS I NEED HELP WITH RIMS AND TIRES,WHAT IS THE BEST SIZE TIRE 33'S OR 35'S I AM PUSHING TO GET 15X10 EAGLE 589'S OR OUTLAWS II. I HAVE A 3.73 STOCK REAR. I NEED HELP AS I AM NEW TO BUILDING THE BEST TRUCKS AROUND(K5 BLAZER)

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well you started building the best truck around by buying the best truck around. it depends what kind of tires you are looking for. Do you need them for mud, trails, rockclimbing or just everyday use? Most radial tires 33-35 inches tall are 12.5 inches wide which is good for 15x10s. You may want to regear the ratios to 4.11 for 33s or 4.56 for 35s but 3.73 will be fine for now. When you get the lift make sure you get an all spring lift and no blocks because they cause axlewrap and they make you have a bad ride and bounce around a lot. I hope this helps and good luck building your truck.

90K5

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

....or better yet, get a shackle flip in the rear. If you wanna run 35s you are going to have to trimm the fenders a bit. If you don't like the idea of cutting up your blazer, then you can get a body lift. Lots of people stay away from them but a 1 inch or 2 inch body lift should be ok. I have seen a few hard core rock crawlers with a 1 or 2 inch body lift. But if you don't want a body lift or wanna cut the fenders then go with the 33s. You have 10 bolt axles and they could easily break with the 35s on a trail. I don't think you should re gear your stock axles. Leave them at 3.73 and when you wanna go lower, get stronger axles.

Oh yeah, with a 4 inch lift you might need to do a little steering corection, driveshaft lengthening or dropping the t case. The brake lines should also be replaced with longer ones. Good luck

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is that Buttman's Hummer? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Dale, I'm glad you bought a K5, but there is no need to yell dude! [​IMG] All those caps hurt my eyes! LOL

[​IMG]

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No offense ,but I have had blocks in the rear of my Jimmy now for about 6 years and I have good ride and my Jimmy doesn't bounce around alot. I have had many compliments on the ride of my Jimmy.

I would recommend them to someone who doesn't have the cash to buy flips or rear springs(which I think big rear lift springs are a waste of cash)...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

You can do the flip for nothing if you've got a cut-off wheel and a high speed tool to spin it. You could even do it with a Dremel. I was surprised and how well that little sucker cut the thick shackel brackets. 4 inch rear lift, great articulation, great ride... Cost? A few hours of your time... $10 at the most if you end up shimming the pinion down.

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607