Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires rubbing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jayccb1, Feb 13, 2004.

1. jayccb1

jayccb1 Registered Member

I have an 89 with a 3 0r 4 inch suspension lift. The tires are 35" and rub the fender if I hit a bump when turning. I have seen that the fender can be cut out to fix this problem, but are there other ways of solving this?
    I'd like to put some fender flares on someday and I've looked at bushwacker so if I cut the fender can I still fit the fender flares on? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any body lift?

3. jayccb1

no body lift

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an 89 with a 3 0r 4 inch suspension lift. The tires are 35" and rub the fender if I hit a bump when turning. I have seen that the fender can be cut out to fix this problem, but are there other ways of solving this?
    I'd like to put some fender flares on someday and I've looked at bushwacker so if I cut the fender can I still fit the fender flares on? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this turning on flat ground?

Just wondering cause I haven't had a problem yet...........................
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. jayccb1

The tires will rub when turning in driveways or turning and hiitting a bump, I've even had it happen when turning and hitting the brakes hard. Shocks were replaced last year.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What tires ya got? My 33's would rub when I turned like that, then I adjusted the steering stops and they would only rub when I was wheeling and getting real flexy. Don't have any problems with my 35's rubbing, yet. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif And I'm not running any lift. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You'll have to trim to get them to fit with 8" wide wheels and 4" of backspacing. Not a lot, just a little.

You can raise it up another 2" and that'll make it so it won't rub on the street but in the woods it still will rub.

You can help the problem go away by replacing any wore out front end parts like spring eye bushings, swaybar bushings, and balljoints.

I rub with 33s on a 4" lift.

8. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Is it only when you turn to the right or to the left. I have to same problem with a 2.5" and 35s on 10" wide centerline wheels when I turn to the left and hit a bump or go into a drive/up an incline. Mine hits on the inner fenderwell. A hammer is going to fix this as soon as I have time. Check out where it is rubbing and then go form there. I never rub going forward or to the right. Only when turning left and it's always on the drivers side, in the rear of the tire. Good Luck. And about the flares. Bushwacker makes a set for the Blazer and Pick-up just for cut out fenders. They look great and perform well.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Have you consittered a bigger lift. Maybe a 6" lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts, but it may cure your problem. Just something to think about.