Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires slipping in four wheel drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I know my title is misleading. What is going on is when I put my k5 in four wheel drive it acts like the tires are rotating against each other, they are slipping. It is the same type of slip that you get when you make a tight turn in 4H or 4L. When you make the tight turn the inside tire tries to turn at the same rate as the ouside tire, but can't because it is traveling a shorter distance so it slips back and forth on the geound as a result of the extra force. This is what both sets of wheels are doing when you have it in either 4HI or 4LO just driving straight. Its as noticable on dirt, but on pavement you have to force it to move. I just had the rearend rebuilt so I figure that has something to do with it, because it has never done this before. I know the the new rearend is an aftermarket positrac, and it replaced the stock limited slip. Would that make any difference. I really don't know the difference between the two anyways, but thats another story. I'm pretty sure the ratio he put in was right, but I didn't count the gears myself so I don't know, but hopefully the guy is at least that smart. If you guys have any ideas what it might be, driveshafts not aligned right or what ever, I'd really like to know so I can tell him what to look for or at. Anything past the motor is out of my league so I appreciate the help.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Get in there and double check the gear ratio...Sounds like a case of mis-matched gears...that is a bad thing, even for the most stout of drivelines...

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

CHECK THE GEAR RATIO!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like the gears are mismatched and if you keep messing with it you are going to fubar something.

4. Yup definitly sounds like is-matched gears, which is that jerking, slipping feeling because the front and the rear tires are trying to turn at different speeds. Let us know. Later

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Yep, it does sound like you have different ratio's in your diff's. If you have to drive it, be sure to leave it in 2wd until you can check both the front & rear.