Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires/theft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jan 24, 2001.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As everyone could probably tell from my AT/MT question, I'm going to be putting new tires on my truck, on the stock rally's. How does everyone, or does everyone, put locks on their wheels? I hate non standard stuff cause I tend to lose things. (I can imagine me having a lug nut key for about 3 days) But is there really any other way to secure wheels/tires that ISN'T a pain? i mean I guess thats the whole idea of wheel locks, make it a pain to remove.

If thats the only option, whats the best? I saw Gorilla mentioned, is that really about the best out there, for the price?

Also, does anyone still actually steal tires? Haven't seen it happen lately, doesn't mean it still isn't happening. Personally it seems they steal the whole vehicle then strip wha tthey want off of it.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> You could weld em on. Just kidding, If a theif wants them they're going to get em. Locking lugs is the best way I can think of, you'll have to not lose thing so much is all. Tires are always getting stolen, theives don't ever stop stealing ! You ALWAYS have to be thinking like someone is out there that's planning to steal your stuff. The second you don't, you'll be pricing new tires.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You could just get the ugliest tires and rims anybody has ever seen, then nobody will want to steal them...I have the best security system in the world, I've got nothing of value!!!

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have gorilla locks on my truck, and i must say they are the easiest to use, the Mcgard ones are a bigger pain, and the good thing about Gorillas are they give you a sticker for the glovebox with the key code so if you loose it you can order a new one, i've made use of that service, they got me the keys in two days, and i ordered two, i now have one in the glovebox and one in the tool bag, how could i loose both of them right?

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Gorilla locks are great and difficult to get off for theives. They are tapered so the hammer and socket method doesn't work easilly. As said, if they want them, they will get them, but these make it hard. Put the key in glove box. If they steal the whole truck it makes it easy on them!![​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I cut off one end of my 4 way lug wrench and welded the key to it that way every time you have every thing togather to remove the tire....I hatted to install it into one of the socket....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Depending on where you live, I think there isn't that much of a chance of somebody just stealing the tires off of it. Why risk taking the time to jack up the vehicle and take off all the lugs if they can just break into the vehicle and be driving away in 60 seconds to some garage or safe spot, the longer they spend out in the open the better chance of getting caught. In that case there's no reason to have locks on the wheels because you would probably keep the key in the vehicle anyway.

If a thief wants something bad enough, they will get it no matter what you do. From my experience of one attempted theft (the steering wheel club stopped them) and then a theft a year later (pretty well stripped), the harder it is for them the more damage they do. The first time the club stopped them but they completely trashed the steering column and a lot of the dash, probably just because they were ticked. The second time they couldn't punch the lock that had been reinforced when it was repaired from the first time, so they punched the other side out also and then cut the steering wheel in half.

8. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

thieves are always around. My budy had his swampers stolen off of his toyota. the thieves shoved two logs underneath the difs then cut the valve, all the air out was just enough room to slide to tires off .... waking up to your truck balanced on logs is not cool!!!!!!

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those were some creative theives! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

get some 15x18 custom rims with a 2" backspace that way you can't get a tire iron in there. Chances are the theives wont have a breaker bar and 24" extension. HAHAHAHA

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I am surprised nobody does it the old fashioned way!! Just go out and get a pit bull or rottweiler and chain it to the truck. It can lay underneath for shade, etc. Who would bother a mean mother f---ing dog like these?

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Anybody that thinks people won't steal just your tires and rims are being NAIVE ! Why take the whole vehicle if they have the right location for the truck and safety to do the job. Not everybody lives right in town where houses are right on top of each other so it would be hard to not have any one see what they're doing, some people live out of town where theives would have all day or in some instances all weekend to take whatever the hell they want. Never underestimate a theif, if they want it bad enough, they WILL find a way to get it ! I'll tell you what, people that live around me are lucky that I'm an honest stand up guy or I'd rob them all blind. People are way too relaxed about their possessions, not to mention their schedules. If I were crooked, it would be easy pickings.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

13. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I had a thought but I lost it after seeing the picture under riz's name:}

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If you drill a hole in the key and string a zip tie thru. You can attach it to your tire iron and just slip it on and off.

15. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

About four years ago someone tryed to steal the 33's that were on my *eep. I had a McGuard lock nut on each wheel. They got off the lock nut and one other nut befor getting spooked. I talked to a friend who has a front end shop and he said that most thiefs just over tighten the other lug nuts and the lock nut just spins off by hand. That day I bought another set of lock nuts so that I had two on each wheel. It was a pain to keep track of two keys but it was alot less expensive then four new BFG's.

P.S. I still have them if someone wants them.

Getsome

16. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

when was the last time you saw someone steel a set of chrome wheels for any reason? they only steel expensive rims and ussually cut off the tires to sell them later also around here they take the serial #s off tires when you buy them for info on your reciept.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If you live a place where you always have to worry about it, it's <font color=red>TIME TO MOVE <font color=black>or you could just get a 30' chain and run it thru each of your rims and chain your beast down when your not with it[​IMG].
    ps- can anyone help me with my test forum?

[​IMG]<font color=red> Ride'in High In My K5! [​IMG]

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why dont anybody get a pit bull or rottweiler?! Its still cheaper than buying new tires and rims, and you have a good friend for life!!

19. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I run Gorillas at the four corners. All 6 on each rim are locked. When I got them, they put in a envelope that you can send $8.50 with and receive a spare key, which I got. My key stays in the Tuffy security console and only comes out when I need it. They are easier to use. The McGard's with the little clover leaf like pattern can be a pain sometimes. Also, I like the rot or doby theory. Makes sense. I think the only improvement to that theory would be to get a female so she won't pee on the expensive rims and cause them to discolor.

20. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Hah! I like that idea ;).
    Anywho, I really like the idea that guy had who cut off an end of a 4 way and welded it on there, smart move! I've got locks on my wheels, that the clear is flaking off of anyway.
    Hey, every little bit helps right?

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7