Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires? Tires? Tires?What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SOFmech, Mar 7, 2007.

1. SOFmech

SOFmech Registered Member

OK, im a noobie here and this is my first post. Tomorrow I am getting my 89 Blazer a 6" procomp lift, 15X10 Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 35/12.5/15 BFG AT's. Its my daily driver in the rainy Pacific Northwest and I dont get out off road too much right now. Should I stick with the AT's or should I get the mud terrains? I had AT's on my 73 Ram Charger a while ago and they worked pretty good. Just wanting some honest opinions. Thanks guys.

Brett

2. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

The BFG A/T is a great tire... so you havent gotten them yet, or do you mean you do have the tire already?

From what you said about your driving patterns i would probably stick with the A/T for now. With a 35x12.50 youll still be ahead of those with stock size a/ts.
    As long as you havent had mud terrains before, brand new big a/ts will be awesome in your opinion, compared to your old tires...might as well go with those so next time you get tires if you get m/ts you still have that "THESE ARE F'ING SWEET" excitement. :haha:

3. SOFmech

I havent got them yet. But going from a 31/10.5 to a 35/12.5 should be a big difference.

4. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

It will definetly be a big difference if the tires you have now are bald or not an a/t..

By the way... Posting on CK5 means you have to post pictures! lets see some before & after shots!

:thumb:
    :k5:

Ps, oops... Welcome to the community!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had 35" BFG AT's and they wore like iron. They were also great on trails and ok on rock. I would not hesitate to buy another set if I was on the road a lot.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the jungle!

My last set of BFG AT (37/12.5 17) I had siped.
    They lasted approx. 70,000 miles!

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome!
    I like BFG AT too. Had a set for many years on my K5. Good tire for all around use.
    When they wore out I was going to buy another set of BFGs But I found a set of 12.50 x 33" General Grabber AT2 for way less $$ on sale. I like them just as well as the BFG AT. They have a similar tread pattern and work just as good on or off road. They are great in the snow or on rainy roads. Like BFG AT, not so hot in deep mud. I have had them aired down to 10 lbs with no problems on the rocks and sand. They have a bead protector to keep them from getting un seated. I have had these tires on for over a year. They show very little wear. Very satisfied with them

8. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just had that exact tire on my truck, BFG A/T 35x12.5 r15. I got kinda tired of them and so i upgraded to the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (same size). I must say that as far as on road performance, they do much better than the BFG A/T. Especially in any kind of wet weather and much better snow traction. Plus when you do go off road you will be already ahead of the game with an awsome tire. Do a search on the MTZ i did a small review of them a little while ago.

MTZ 5.jpg

MTZ 5.jpg

9. SOFmech

Thanks for all the heklp guys. Just got my truck done with pictures. Now I have to figure out how to post the before and after.