Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires vs. dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Dec 9, 2004.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

so i sold my 35's now i have a decision. buy 38's for cheap, or 36's for cheaper and buy a 1 ton dually 4x4 in ok condition w/ a d60. id like to go ahead and get the 38's but the fear of my front axle is all thats holding me back.
    Suggestions Please!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well it depends on how you are going to wheel your truck. If you are going to run it on trails that are moderately to extremely difficult as well as mud then by all means go with the D60 first DEFINITELY. If its just gonna be a street truck and be used on some easy trails the ten bolts will hold up fine. I just got into wheeling about two years ago and being completely incompetent in the ways of building a rig I bought a K5 and immediately put 40" tires. I do moderate wheeling on trails and mud and the ten bolts so far have held up good. In my situation I like to do more difficult trails and learned that 40" tires on ten bolt axles just doesn't work. Yeah they look incredible on a truck but the stock axles just aren't enough for the hard stuff. You also have to include how much you wanna put into additional items to run a D60 or 38" tires there are many things you have to include when making those upgrades things such as possible gear swaps, spring plate swaps, u joints ect for the 60 and a body lift, transmission likage extend, radiator lift mounts, fender trimming ect for 38" tires. If I had to do it over again I would have gone ahead and bought the D60 and then went for the bigger tires. So just figure out what you wanna use your truck for and how much you have to spend and go from there.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How do you wheel?? Lots of skinny pedal or are more of a finesse driver? Also what type of terrain do you wheel?

Most can get away with 38's and 1/2 tons.... You dont need one right off the bat if you're not on the skinny pedal alot.

Also, will the dually be a d60 donor or a tow rig?

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

im easy on the skinny pedal usually and iv already put a 1-ton 14ff in the rear. it looks like im getting the truck it will be a donor truck for now but later it will be a trail only buggy. the truck already has a D60 which will go to the blazer but it also has a sm465 and 205 case. im just wondering on what gearing it should have in it. the motor is a 292 straight six so im hoping for 4.56, anyone have any guess? thanx and ill keep you posted im getting fairly excited about building another rig.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When in doubt, ALWAYS get the D60. :D

I've only seen 3 K30 292 trucks in person but they all had 4.56's (I think most 292's did).

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

as far as the 292 goes, in the 67-72 years all 3/4 tons with the 292 have 4.56 standard. i would guess that the newer trucks are the same way.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you like offroading at all, get the 60. Axles first, then tires. Only way to go unless you actually enjoy fixing busted parts on the trail, spending money on spare parts, getting stranded and ending 4x4 trips early.

j

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

well i (actully westtexask5 and i split it) bought the truck for 500$. now the fun begins. ill keep you posted.