Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Okay I want help to chose from 2 sets of tires BFG A/T or BFG M/T I do alot of wheelin but the truck is still my DD I go wheelin like every sunday And love to play in the mud. do u guys think i should go for the M/T or A/T.

Okay I got to thinking and decided to just ask wat kind of Mud terrain tiers should I get

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Whatever you do buy muds. AT's have lots of shortcomings in the wet and northern climates.

Siped radial muds are the way to go for year round driving and decent wheeling.

4. Chrisblazzer89

HEY big Blazze r u on aim

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

You cant go wornd with a set of bfg m/t's

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are set on those 2 tires and see mud action on a somewhat regular basis then get the MT's for sure. The AT's SUCK!!! in the mud. They pack up solid with mud and offer little traction. The MT's clean themselves alot better and easier then the AT's will. I love my BFG AT's on my Jeep but they flat out suck in the mud and I will admit that all day long.

Harley

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

MTs all the way.

8. Chrisblazzer89

so anybody else have any insight?

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if those are the only choices. go with the M/T's. otherwise I swear by goodyear mtr's.

10. Chrisblazzer89

Okay I got to thinking and decided to just ask wat kind of Mud terrain tiers should I get

11. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Hawgs!

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Of the 2 choices, definitely the Muds.

The do have a soft sidewall that is easy to wipe out. This is somebody else's, but I've done one very similar.

[​IMG]

13. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

chris, consider this, your not going to get many miles out of a m/t according to the feedback i`ve gotten....30-50k tops....now think of the amount of driving you do...alot of city/highway?? if so, then take a look at the decision i made....right now i`m running 33x14.5 mickeys that suck in the mud...now i only plan on wheeling maybe 1 or 2 times every few months...so i wasnt willing to sacrifice killing a m/t tire for something other than what it really was made for, which is driving on the street...so instead of spending 600 to get trxus m/t tires, i looked more into it, and saw that TSLs of the same size were nearly the same price...so what am i doing now? I`m going to spend the 600 to get tsls, then when i get them, sell or trade mine, and get a good a/t tire.....this way i have a kick A$$ tire for the street, and a kick A$$ tire for offroading....and all it is costing me is the same amount i would have spent on m/ts, mostly because the current tires i have are more than likely worth enough to get me some good a/t....and i know you already have 33s(which you could use as your city/highway tire)`.....just some food for thought....

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A lot of mud, got with the BFG MT's. Great for daily driving and you will get a lot of miles out of them..............

15. AJMBLAZER

Consider the Interco TrXus MT's. Had a set of 33's on my Ranger and loved them. Great offroad and great onroad. The Swamper TSL tread did great in the dirt and mud and the siped tread with the softer rubber compound of a mud helped on the road in slick situations. I have all of my tires siped but these were so good "out of the box" that I never bothered to sipe them.

They're a strong contender for Big Ugly in a 37" size.

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The BFG AT's wear the best but aren't as good in the mud. The MT's are better in the mud, but wear a little faster and are a little louder. They both have softer sidewalls as far as puncture resistance is concerned. The MTR's are probably better in the mud than the MT, but appear to wear a little faster too. Swampers, boggers, hawgs, etc., are better in the mud, but wear quickly. The Hawgs and radial swampers wear pretty well, some people report 50K+ miles out of them, which is close to how the BFG AT wears.

17. AJMBLAZER

I'd disagree with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R doing well in the mud. From personal experiences with other people's rigs and reviews I've read and heard they definately aren't ment to be mud tires along the Swamper vein. On the Jeeper sites it's not uncommon for someone to lift their Rubi and NOT get another set of MT/R's if they live anywhere near mud. Their for sale forums are FULL of sets of 245/75R16 MT/R's with good tread left. Also notice the '07+ Rubicons aren't wearing MT/R's anymore.

Oh yeah, another vote for the TrXus MT's, mine had over 15k on them under my Ranger with a continuously goofy alignment and they still had over half tread left when I sold them. 30k+ under a 4200lb truck is nothing to sniff at. K5's and such should see similar mileage.
    Yes I'm pushing for them. Did I mention their prices are very nice too?