Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1978Blazerk5, Feb 24, 2007.

1. 1978Blazerk5

1978Blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey i need to find a good tire thats good in deep and shallow snow, is good on dry pavment, also one thats good for mild off roading,a good wearing tire,and finaly one thats not to expensive under $190 a piece. basicaly a good all around tire.the size is 33 12.50 15. This is going on my 78 blazer.
    Thanks

2. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

Bfg A/t Ko

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

And you can get the BFG AT/KO *or* MT in 33x10.5R15.

Stock wheels/suspension, that tire size should clear your wheelwells, if you don't want to do any metal cutting. 12.5's more than likely will not.

4. 1978Blazerk5

my blazer does have a 2 1/2 inch lift. but wouldnt the 10.50 be better in the snow than a 12.50? would it be noticable enough to do that or am i better with 12.50(i think the 12.50 looks beter than the narrower ones)

Kinda off topic do i lose any traction on snow by have a factory GM locker in the rear?

5. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I still like my Nitto Terra Graplers.

6. 85mudr

85mudr Registered Member

I had Dunlop Rovers Rv's 33 12:50 no lift and they got me threw anything. They also lasted 55K and they where a little over 115.

7. Bigdawg234

Bigdawg234 Registered Member

rover's shread to easy offroad, just killed a set myself, i just got a set of Road VENTURE MT's from sears for $120 a peice, they suprised the hell out of me in the snow, for a 33x12.50, They go just as good in the mud, if not better than my buddy's bfg mudders. I had them on some imestone boulders, and they didn't tear or chunk at all. I hear they're supposed to last around 40k, in the real world. make sure you get the good oones though, cause they make 2 under that name, here's the link
    http://www.kumhotireusa.com/specifictire.do?id=22&parentId=2&pid=KL71

8. dyeager535

I'm up in the air on tire performance. Tire performance in any condition is going to at least partially be dependent on tread design. Vehicle, tire width, tire height, that all matters too.

If you can get down to solid ground, a narrow tire will work better. Otherwise it is better to spread the vehicle load over a larger area.

AT tires typically don't self clean well. Deep snow and mud is likely to present a problem for them. My BFG AT's seem to clog in deeper snow, I've yet to try airing them way down to see if they do any better.

Street pattern tires do a better job in my experience on very slick, smooth surfaces than even an AT, but an AT should do better than a more aggressive pattern in the same conditions.

BFG's do wear good, if you've already got a lift and plan for the variety of wheeling you do, I'd be thinking about 12.5" BFG MT's. Narrow tires get you better economy, AT is going to give better on road traction, and should last longer, but deeper mud and snow would be better handled by an MT IMO.

Factory locker in the rear can be quite interesting in the snow and ice. If you are light on the throttle, it can and will send the rear sideways. Sidehilling could be deemed dangerous if it isn't locked, then locks when you aren't expecting it and the vehicle swings. BTDT. No different at that point than any other automatic or full time traction device, like a posi or detroit. However, with a posi or detroit, the rear will start to react INSTANTLY, and you know exactly when your rear is starting to slide, whereas the gov-lock will likely let you get in a bit over your head before it starts to let loose.

9. 1978Blazerk5

it seems that bf goodrich mt's would be my best bet.off of curousity would i be better of swaping out the gov-lock and replace it with posi or a detriot? if i were to do that how much would it cost to have it done? because i don't have much axel knowhow or the tools for or know anyone who has those things?

10. dyeager535

Depends on how hard you are on your rig.

Gov-locks in the 10/12 (and 14SF IMO) are all pretty weak, and can/will fail in time. However, so will a 10/12 bolt of any type (especially locked) again depending on how hard you are on it.

If you never spin the wheels, you can probably get a gov-lock to last. But that's near impossible with any sort of power, and any sort of "fun" off road. :)

IMO you are better off getting rid of 10/12 bolts than throwing a different locker in there if you are worried about the gov-lock. Either you are easy enough on your truck that the 10/12 bolts and gov-lock will last, or you aren't.

11. 1978Blazerk5

well i am pretty easy on my truck basicaly i want to build a daily driver that i can go most places with. basicaly be a good driver(well exept gas 10 miles to the gallon:doah: )also i do have 4:56 gears my truck used to be a towrig so that and a gov-lock probaly isnt to good for the 12 bolt.

12. NewUser

NewUser 1/2 ton status

i like my Hankook Dynapro's in a 33 12.50...they ride good, are rather quiet for an agressive mud tire and so far have worn decent(only 2 weeks old though LOL) and they were only like $144 each
    mine is bone stock with no lift at all and they seem to clear fine so far

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

i've had 3 sets of bfg on mine. came with 31" ATs stock. put a 2.5" skyjacket lift on and 33'' MTs. the 33s never rubbed. the mt made a huge difference off road and were good on. i got over 48k miles on them. i have 35" MTs on now. 2 1/2 years old w/ 20 k miles and they show very little wear, even after a few trips in the rocks.

if money is a concern, look at cooper discoverys or their new stt. nice tires, wear well and they're alot cheaper.

also, when i regeared to 4.56s i put a powertrax in the rear. it works well off road and is un noticable on the street. anything you do will require you to change out to an open carrier, which is a few extra $$

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

My 2 cents is I just do not like bfg at tires. The truck I just got has the dunlops on them but can not make any judgements about them yet.