Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swampers83, Jun 21, 2000.

1. swampers83

swampers83 Registered Member

I am in the market for some mud tires in the area of 35"s or so. I have come down to 2 different tires both mainly cause of price. Superswamper TSL radial 36x12.50 15's or 35x12.50 15 general grabber MT's. I need to get about 20 t0 25K miles out of this set so what am i looking at for the swampers? and the Generals? Also, is 6" to much lift for 35"s or is 4" better? THANKS!!

chevy-like a rock

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I bought the General Grabbers, and I love them. They are bias-ply, which gives them a stronger sidewall. That's really good if you do a lot of rock-crawling. [​IMG] I have read that bias-ply don't do well on the street, but to be honest I have never noticed any difference at all between bias-ply and radials. The Grabbers do extrememly well in the mud also, but I am sure the Swampers are more than capable. You should get at least 20,000 out of the Generals if you rotate them. I recall the shop guy telling me they were good for 40,000 or so. As far as lifts, I am going with a 6 inch. They look great with 35s, and you can always go up a size if you want. The 6 inch requires afew more mods, but nothing too major. Man, did I write a lot or what???? [​IMG]

3. swampers83

swampers83 Registered Member

Bias ply? i had no idea that those tires would be bias ply. Are BFG muds bias ply? Hmmmm....i don't know, i hear bias ply wear very fast and are noisier and much rougher in the morning. Perhaps you all can lean me in the right direction to a tire that will be driven on everyday but great off-road. THANKS!!!

chevy-like a rock

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BFG does not make bias ply...hence the name Radial Mud Terrain T/A

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Have you looked at the new ProComp Mud terrains? They have gotten good write ups in Peterson's 4Wheel and Offroad and Four Wheeler, are relatively inexpensive, are siped on the inner tread blocks, and the tread is similar to the BFG MT's. Just thought I would throw that out. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The General Grabber MT's are radials.......General did/does make a plain Grabber that was a bias-ply but had a very different tread pattern.

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have 35" Gen Grabber MT's on my 75. They are radials. I have about 32,000 on them and three of them look like they could go another 8-10,000, ones a little worn due to a bad shock, so far i haven't had any problems with them at all, they ride pretty nice, clear well, don't hum too much, and best of all i got them for $125 apiece, ya can't beat that with a stick.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

9. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I run BFG AT 33x12.50s on my 84. These tires are great, my only change, when it's time, will be up to 35x12.50 MTs. I have had these same 4 tires for 6 yrs and they still have excellent tread. My K5 is a daily driver and weekend play toy. I dont do a whole lot of highway driving though. 35x12.50s are about $155 or so each, not too bad. I would recomend BFGs to anyone.

10. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    BFG's are great tires! I have run them for years. Here are some pics of the NEW redesigned "Mud Terrain" [​IMG]
    I think they are calling them the "MT/km" kinda like the "AT/ko"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I don't know what happened to the pics, they were there a minute ago? I must be doing something wrong?