Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Can anyone recommend a good all terrain tire for my k5? I'm looking for a smooth tire that rides well and has a long tread life as I'll be using my truck commuting to and from college here soon.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

In my book you can't beat BFG All-Terrains. They aren't as good off-road as a mud-terrain, but they are good enough. And they are quiet on the street and they last a very, very long time. They are truly fantastic tires, especially for a daily driver.

3. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

I agree with Gallin. The BFG A/Ts are a good balance of tire. I haven't had mine for a long time but they handle great, and the road noise is low, and they have side biters for crawling. They do great off road, except in the mud, the tread is too close together and the mud cakes up of the tire making it slippery.

4. CrazeeBush

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go for the BFG Mud Terrains, they're still a quiet, long lasting and smooth riding tire; but have the added benefit of better traction off road.

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Kelly Safari MSR's....not a big fan of BFG's. I got mine in a 35/12.50. It's a mud tread that's gotten me through a lot of goo. Road hum is minimal and the wear rating is 40,000 miles, but I've got about 30,000 on mine and they still have half of the tread left. I didn't really care for the price I paid $650, but that was with road hazard, free balancing and rotating for the life of the tire...which I've already used like 50 times....and I needed a tire I could count on going for many miles. I didn't want to spend $300 bucks on a set of cheap tires that would only last me 1Year.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

7. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

I just bought a set of 32x11.50 Dunlop Rover AT's. Unfortunatley for right now, my suspension is stock and I drive mostly on the road. That is why I got these tires, rated for 60,000 miles, looks like they will be ok off road, probably not great in the mud as mentioned above with the BFG AT's. Sears had them on sale for $88 a tire w/o mount & balance, still a good deal though. Hope this helps. Do a search under Dunlop if you want to see a pic of them.

JF

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I run BFG AT's 35" right now. They're definately great street, but not too great offroad. They suck in the mud. But they climb up steep dirt hills ok. I've climbed some steep dirt hills in 2WD. I wish I had my camera at the time. Anyways, I heard great things about the BFG mud though, plus now they come with a new sidewall design.
    Boss

9. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do they make the a/ts any larger than a 35?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

No.
    Boss

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

BFG doesn't make anthing over 35".

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

12. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

When I bought my '89 in '96 it had a set of BFG all-t's on it with only about 2,000 miles on them. I got over 55,000 miles on them. It was my daily driver for four years which included going off road when I went hunting. I bought another set a few months ago and got the 33 X 12.50's. Never had a flat BFG so I couldn't go wrong buying another set.

Chevy's RULE!

13. CrazeeBush

14. Crutch

Crutch Registered Member

BFG A/T's are great. I've used them on three different vehicles now. I usually got around 50K out of them. Two years ago, I purchased a set of General Grabber A/S's in the 33x12.5R-15. I needed tires badly, but didn't have the money for BFGs. Anyway, the Grabber A/S tires have turned out to be great tires also. Here in NM, the terrain is mostly sand, dirt, with some occasional clay/mud thrown in. Other than the clay/mud goo, I've been pleasantly surprised. Just my $0.02 worth.

Crutch

15. buttman

buttman Registered Member

BFG M/T's are great tires, espesially if your on the road most of the time.They handle alot better tham the mudders, and last a little longer too. I know the mudders look alot better, but if your not offroading much I wouldnt get them. Your better off paying for a good tires than cheap ones, i found that out the hard way, goodluck, Buttman

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BFG All-Terrains are great. Mine are 33x12.50R15 and they work well on the street and trail. not great in mud but they are real good and I think thay have a 50,000 mile warranty.

17. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had BFG 33x12.50 ATs on my '84 for about six yrs now.
    My wife said when they go bald I can get my new lift and bigger tires, but that was six yrs ago........and these keep going, and going, and going, and going, and going.....

18. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Just put 32X11.50X15 BFG All Terrains on my 89 K5 and I love 'em. Nice and smooth on the road, with good rain traction. And they surprised me with how well they did off-road. Only been out wheelin' twice since I got 'em, but they have gotten me through everything without breaking a sweat. And that new sidewall design looks DEAD SEXY on a K5. Good luck.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

19. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

why don't they? isn't there a market for it?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

20. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i went to america's tire store, and bought some sport kings. 33's. they say it's the BFG A/T marketed under another name. looks exactly like all the A/T's ive parked next to, same pattern and everything. wife said same thing as the other guy, i can get a lift and whatnot when these wear out. i don't see that happening anytime soon. no road noise, good off-road characteristics, and mileage, mileage, mileage.
    add the fact that they cost 1/2 what a set of BFG's will run ya, and its an easy choice.
    but damn, i want to lift it............

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>