Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires..

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by RipTide, Jul 8, 2002.

1. RipTide

RipTide Newbie

I have been looking for New Tires for my Blazer and I can't decide on what to get. I currently have 35 x 14.50 Mickey Thompson Baja's. Now I want a 35 or 37 In Tire and I'm looking into the Baja Claws. But I wanted to get an opinion from wheelers that are in the region I'm in since they know what the terrain is like. Does anyone have this tire and what do you think of them.? This Vehicle is 75% Off Road only. Any suggestions would be great thanks...

RipTide

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

first off welcome to the forum /forums/images/icons/smile.gif where are you located?
    i have no experiance with them but from everything i have heard they suck /forums/images/icons/frown.gif if it was me i would go with swampers i am running 38x13x16in tsl swampers and they do absolutly awesome in sand mud snow rocks you name it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

IMO the best 37 inch tire on the market is the MTR... cheaper than them claws too...

J

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll second that! My 38's are awsome off road! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Now if only they weren't SO DAMNED LOUD ON THE STREET!! HUH? WHAT'JA SAY?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, SPEAK UP!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Seriously though, I love 'em.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol shane! you really need to take them 38s off when you're on-road. I dunno, maybe you are rich... but if it was me I couldnt afford a $800 set of tires every year because I wore them down on-road. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif throw them 33s on there!! they are expendable! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

6. reedmit

reedmit 1/2 ton status

I have 38.5 swampers SXs. I love them. I heard claws suck.

Jason, I can't afford two sets of tires. I have had mine on for a year and only have lost maybe 1/8" of tread and have made many trips to Medford and back.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The SX's are radials right?? Mine are the TSL bias ply. I think they wear down faster. They are holding up quite well though. I expected much more tread loss than I have had over the last 3 months or so...

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

SX's are bias also. Only the TSL radial and the SSR are radial in the Interco mud line.......... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh...I stand corrected, and educated! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

what's the wear difference on bias and radial???

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

38.5x11 boggers. First time owning boggers and i love them. I have no compliants other than the noise and wear.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

There are several differences. A radial tire is a different rubber compound and is a harder rubber. It also has to do with the type of construction of the inner core of the tire. A radial has several layers of steel strands that make up the core of the tire. Also a radial tire runs smoother because the tire actually holds its round shape.

A bias ply tire has an all fiberglass core constrcution and is in general a softer rubber. A bias ply tire "pushes" itself down the road. You can't see it but the rubber folds over onto itself as it runs down the road. That is why you feel a thump in the tires until they warm up. The rubber "settles" some while it sits overnight and has a flat spot in it until it gets run out.

Does this make any sense to you? I hope I 'splained it ok. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah it makes sence.. so do radials last alotlonger or just a little longer... I'd think bias would do better off-road???

14. RipTide

RipTide Newbie

Hey Mudhog thanks for the Welcome. I'm in the Vancouver WA. This is the info I was hopeing to get from local offroaders. I did find they now offer a Radial that has a differnt Tread little more aggresive. Still looking at my Options though.. If they were Cheaper I would just say get them and if they didn't workout Oh well, but not for 300 a peice.

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no problem /forums/images/icons/smile.gif hope we see more of you around there are a few of us in Vancouver im in the portland gresham area /forums/images/icons/smile.gif why not go with a biase ply(sp?)? my 38's are a biase ply(sp?) and are not bad /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

SSR's are good all around tires too. I have the 35" version on my K5, good road manners, quiet (for a mud tire) /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif and handle RAIN well............kinda a nice thing for up here.

Welcome aboard............. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, that's hard to answer because everyone drives differently. All I can say for sure is that radials are quieter than bias. Radials are more $$ than bias when it comes to the larger sizes. It's really a matter of preference at that point. I have 33" AT's that I run around town, and my 38's that I run when I go wheelin'. So for me, the bias are the best bang for the buck. They are a bit louder, but they are much cheaper and will ast me a looooong time using them only off road. But, like I said before, that is what works for me.