Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ricka, Jul 29, 2003.

1. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Ok, I have a 77 Chevy Blazer with a 2" Skyjacker lift on it, RS9000 shocks, 4.10 pumpkins, NP203, TH350. Currently running Interco TSL/SX 32x11.5x15" tires on custom 15x8 bead locks. It's time for new tires and I want to go a bit bigger. My 32's now measure 29" mounted. Yuck. So I'm looking for something around 33x12.5x15 or maybe 34x12.5x15. A real small 35" could work. There are no TSL/SX's that fit this. I'm from Oregon and need a good mud, rut, snow and sand tire. Not worried about cost or tread life (hard to believe I said that). This is not a daily driver and finds most of it's use off-road.

I'm seriously considering the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. It's a radial and had tough sidewalls. The 33x12.5x15 is supposedly 32.7" tall. Not perfect, as I'd prefer a taller 33. Any comments on how these perform in mud? I hear good things about sand, snow, rocks and on-road. They certainly air down nice (can't say that about the Interco or other stiff sidewall tires).

I've considered Interco Boggers. They aren't perfect for the sand and have sidehill issues. SS TSL (both bias and radial) could be a player, although I'm probably leaning towards others before them. The TRXUS 34" tire is interesting due to it's height. It's a true 34". Strong sidewall. Maybe not as good overall as the Goodyear MTRs. Any comments from those who have had them.?

I briefly considered the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips. Nice treat pattern. Seem over priced (not that this matters) and I'm hearing only so-so reviews from my local clubs (Oregon BushHackers).

The BFG Krawler 35x13.5x15 looks real interesting. But I think it's too big with some pretty significant trimming. Those pups are expensive too (now maybe cost does come into play...)
    In the 4x4 mags, I'm seeing pictures upon pictures of the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. The 33x12.5x15 are some unknown height tall. Everyone says they are undersized and the 35x12.5x15's might fit at 34" tall. Don't know if the radial or bias play is better or which one is shorter, although 35x12.5 versus 35x13.5 (respectively) might matter. Any performance thoughts on these?

The only other tire on my list being considered is the BFG MTs, but I think the others above might be better overall.

Comments?

Thanks,
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com) rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well we just had our event at sand lake i run tsl swamper's and they did awesome also run tsf in the mud and do awesome also run mt.hood in the snow and they do awesome some of the guys had boggers and they did awesome in the sand as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

The 33" TSLs on 10" wide rims are over 33.5" tall.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

The MT/Rs work nice

5. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

I run 34x10.5 super swamper LTB's. They work great in mud and snow and they fit my truck with out rubbing before I lifted it with some fender trimming.

- Justin

6. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Do you have anything to compare them against? I've love to hear in comparision to Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's or Baja Claws. The data indicates they are even a bit more aggressive than the Super Swamper TSL's (which would put them behind the Boggers and the TSL/SX in my book). They look more aggressive than the TRXUS. They would be 0.4" shorter even though both are 34". Do you like the narrower tire (34x10.5x15)?

7. ricka

ricka Registered Member

The 33x12.5x15 Super Swamper TSL is 33.7" tall, so yes, it does run tall (this is mounted on a 15x10 rim, with no weight on it). In my application, I would reuse my 15x8 bead locks, but that shouldn't be a problem.

8. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Can you say more? What size are you running? Do you have anything to compare them too? How do they fare in the thick mud? I believe their sand, snow, pavement, wet, ice performance is the best of the tires I mentioned. I'd say this is my leading candidate right now.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like what you want is a TSL or a Bogger.

I'd never go from a TSL/SX (one of the toughest off road tires) to a radial. That is a huge step backwards in my book.

I'd stay away from all the poser swampers like the TRX/US and LTB. Those are for people that want to look like they have Swampers, not people that want to hit the trail.

BFG M/Ts are every bit as good as the MT/Rs, cheaper, and last longer. They work well for the weekend off roader, but if you're like me, you'll easily out grow them. There are much better tires for someone that really loves off roading. The BFG is hard to beat if you are a pavement pounder though.

10. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd stay away from all the poser swampers like the TRX/US and LTB. Those are for people that want to look like they have Swampers, not people that want to hit the trail.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? The LTB is the same as a TSL, but is more aggressive and is made in sizes that are not available in the regular TSL line.

- Justin

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SUPER SWAMPER BOGGER ALL THE WAY! They do great in all offroad conditions and are not as bad on the road as some people think. I run 35x16x16.5 boggers on 16.5x14 welds and they look great. I would suggest the 33x12.5x15 for your app. The 33x14 is really wide for it's size and would probably be to big.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What are you talking about? The LTB is the same as a TSL, but is more aggressive and is made in sizes that are not available in the regular TSL line.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't look that way to me. The inner lugs look much closer together, which is typically done to give a quieter highway ride.

I'll keep my TSLs, thank you.

13. ricka

ricka Registered Member

I would love to hear from someone on this list who is running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires. What are your overall impressions? And if you have any compares with supposed more agressive tires like Interco, lay it on us.

I have one observations about most of the Interco's (and especially my TSL/SX's), getting them to air down is darn near impossible. The sidewalls are stiff. I'm even running bead locks after losing so many tires when wheelin'. The MT/R seems to be much better in this area. It seems to have a great footprint. Probably explains why so many rock hounds run it.

Still looking for information on it's mud performance...

Rick

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The MT/R is not a mud tire and was never designed that way. MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. It was designed for rocks and that's why it has a sticky pattern and wears quickly.

The BFG is simply a better tire hands down IMO, unless you run rocks and want a stickier tire.

15. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

Well In my opinion the mt/r sucks in the mud. They dont clean well at all. My good buddy paul runs them and he has trouble getting thru stuff with his mt/r's that i go thru easily with my tsl's. His tires require more wheelspin to keep them clean on the muddy/rocky logging trails we run. I would reccomend a set of 33x12.5 tsl for your application. Thats just my 2 pennys /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. ricka

ricka Registered Member

One of the rags did a "mud drag" test. The MT/R did better than the BFG. In fact, results were:

Bogger
    TSL SS (not sure bias or radial)
    MT/R
    not sure who was #4
    BFG MT/KM
    not sure who was #6
    Baja Claw
    not sure who was #8
    Geolander (last)

I also found out the 33x10.5x15 and 35x10x15 Boggers are still a month away. 33x12.5x15 is available, of course.

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If I were you I would get a set of zero rates and put them all the way around, Im starting to look into the maxxis mudzilla In fl we dont have anything buy mud and sand to me they LOOK like a sand tire but with a name like MUDZILLA I would think they do alright in the mud too

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Wrangle MT/R looks girlie to me. That is probably why they named it "wrangler" because it belongs on a stupid jeep. Definantly boggers or TSL's. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

85k53/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

20. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd stay away from all the poser swampers like the TRX/US and LTB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your mostly trails...maybe. I just purchased the TrXus M/T cuz based on the info I found and talking to people who run them they are a great all use tire, and work very well in mud, sand, snow, ice, water, rocks and quiet on highway. I ran BFG/MT's and Goodyears on my Toy landcruzer and 4x truck. they left me stuck in mud more than anything, not to mention a punctured and sliced up sidewalls.

[ QUOTE ]
    Those are for people that want to look like they have Swampers

[/ QUOTE ]
    Swampers, Swampers, Swampers.....Actually, I intentionally didnt want Swampers. Swampers to me are like Flowmasters....everyone thinks they're cool cuz everyone else has them...maybe I should put a wing on my Blazer too. Dont know why Interco manufactured anything else, the Swamper is the perfect tire. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I wanted a good, all around tire, not something that howels on the road, sucks in the rain and slides on the ice.

Now, before the flaming begins, for your use and since you dont care about other issues, then Swampers or Boggers seem to be the popular choice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

TrXus MT's