Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Apr 6, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

im lifting my truck 4" this summer and need to get rid of those scrawny 31"s id like to keep the stock rims, i think ill stick with 33"s but im easily persuaded. i use it as my daily driver, but need good snow and sand traction for on the weekends. what is the best tire to run?

2. wes88k5

wes88k5 Registered Member

I would probably go with either the BFGoodrich All-terrains of Mud-terrains. They wear pretty well, but also offer good off road traction. It just depends on how aggressive a tread you want.

3. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you are going to do with the truck. I think that the BFG All-Terrains are probably the best all-around tire going, although the General Grabbers a a pretty good aggressive tire and they aren't too loud on the street. I wouldn't go with anything wider than 12.5" if you plan on going into mud or snow too often. I find that narrower is better for that application. They will fit on your stock rims, but when you have the cash upgrade to 10" wide rims, your ride won't be as bouncy and your tires will wear longer.

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Is it true that the BFG's (made by Michellin by the way) are the same price no matter where you go? Didn't someone mention that? Seems they are different prices (by a couple bucks) on all the mail-order places...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've heard lots of rave reviews on Cooper SSTs on the ORC site. There are 5 or 6 guys over there on the Chev board running them, who have had BFGs in the past that say they work better, and last longer. Just my .02, but that will be my next set of tires for the tow vehicle.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I'm putting on a set of Cooper SST this week (as soon as I get my front axle put back together). Lots of guys run them here. They are as tough as the BFG on the trail and cheaper. I'm not sure about the traction, but I soon will. It has been snowing the last 3 days. Some of you guys/gals have the top off and I'm still running around on snow and ice. Man I love it here.