Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TIT FOR TAT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Jun 13, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My a/c has been on the fritz for quite awhile. I had lined up all the nescessary parts and accessories for a swap from r12 to r134. I even had an appointment with a mechanic. I had gone to get gas and check the tranny fluid when again my a/c quit. I shrugged it off and when I pulled the dipstick out I felt ICE cold air blowing across my hand. It turned out the flapper door under the dash was swinging in the wind so to speak. Anyway with the dough I saved not repairing the a/c I'm buying a lift kit for my blazer. Any ideas? nothing big, I've only got 10 15's so no bigger than 4 inches I think.

creepin and crawlin and keepin cool!

Jim

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Jimmyjack,

When you are looking at a lift kit, look for one with a warranty. Go with a large name, but don't pay for just a name. (rancho...) When I relift my blazer I"m going with Skyjacker. The reasons are endless. Just do a search about springs or liftkits on this board. You will find endless information.

Tough country seems to be a good name also. Check with http://www.offroaddesign.com Stephen should beable to help you out with a Tough Country setup.

Shackle flips are pretty big for those willing to either pay or do the work. If you look at the information on Steve's site or my site you will see what I'm talking about. ORD has a flip kit also. Their kit looks stronger than what I've got, but my setup only cost me a few hours and about $8. Keep in mind, some people have needed a CV Shaft in the rear after this modification. That adds a nice $350 or so to the price tag. I strongly suggest agains lift blocks & Transfer case drop kits. That personal preferance tho. I have just this week added lift blocks to my truck. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to temporarly for my S/F 14 swap w/ tsm disc kit.

Also, this is a hot debate and often argued. My 4" kit (rancho springs in front, shackle flip in rear w/stock springs & either sway bar connected or disconnected I'm ripping chrome moulding off from around the wheel wells. I'm planning on upgrading to a 8" lift with 35" tires. I don't want to cut the fenders just to clear the tires when a larger lift will do the same & preserve the metal.

If you have any more questions, repost.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

What is the premise behind a shackle flip? I've read the posts and seen the picturs but without seeing it person and looking it makes no sense. From what I understand the whole rear shackle housing is removed and replaced with a kit to drop the leafspring to pick up the frame and body?
    One of my neighbors has an explorer pro comp lift on his pickup and he likes it alot. I don't want to say "lift" cos really its just replacing the front springs. I'm only going to go with two inches. I've never had a problem with clearance and I've done lots of 3 wheel 4 wheeling. My front springs are just shot. The bushing are decomposing, the springs are saturated with old p/s and brake fluid. They clunk and clank. Theyre just old and tired(like the rest of the blazer)

Thanks for your advice!
    creepin and crawlin
    jim

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just to give you a simle idea: If you stuck your finger inside the open end of a glass pointed at the 2 O-clock position and simulated the shackle "trying" to swing with the "compression" of the spring, you are trying to push it into a corner. (sorta) The shackle has to swing down inorder for it to go. THis isn't the way that it "wants" to swing. Now, install the flip. The finger would now go towards the 5 O-clock position. when the spring were to compress it would want to pivot up, and its in the natural swing of the design.

That is one of the benifets of the shackle flip. Factor in the lift & some have said better ride...

Hope this helps,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I thank my head just calt on fire!!!! IIIIIII the pain[​IMG] dos the flip give you lift or just flex

[​IMG]Go prepared
    </font color=red>90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

4 inches of lift. Your moving the tail of the spring down 8 inches. Now this does get you in trouble with pinon angle. some have gotten away with doing as little as a 2.5 deg shim. On mine I had to cut off the purches and rotate the pinoin down 5 deg to get it exactly right. My rig will run all day long with 0 vibrations and it's still a full time truck too boot.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/