Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

title question, please help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backwoodsboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy Registered Member

a couple of mmonths ago i purchased a 76 k5. but the guy i got it from has since lost the title for it and i cant get a hold of him. is there anyway that i will be able to get the title?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

In CA you can apply to the DMV for a replacement for a lost title. Just takes sending in the correct form.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

depends on laws there,

here in IL if you get signature of the last titled owner then they will issue a replacement title and can transfer it to new owner at same tiem but its extra 40 ro 60 bucks to do it
    i have ot do this on the 71 dually, as the title was in the glovebox and a mouse chewed it all up so i didnt get one, but i have located the last title owner i had to go back about three owners to find him

ill stop at his house one of these days soon and get signature and get the title work done finally

power of attorney paper and also a lost/replacement title form
    just call your local DMV office and tell them you are looking at a vehicle to buy that the owner lost the title and how what you need to do to get one reissued/replaced/issued/transfered whatever they call it there

but dont say you bought it without a title, that would be a no no

unless bill of sales are legal documents there, unlike in IL

here we dont notarize titles and we dont make/use bill of sales

its title or nothing

4. backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy Registered Member

thanks, ill give them a call then

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Here in VT if its 10 years old you don't need a title, and the DMV won't issue one. My 86 has a title, in the previous owners name, they signed it over to me on the back. When I went to register the K5, the DMV handed me back the title, said "this is not necessary" i said- can I get one in my name, answer- nope, they will not issue em.

Wonder what would happen if I sold it to someone in another state that requires titles?

Brandy

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its complicated...

If I buy an "out of state" truck,like say,from Rhode Island,where they dont requre a tiitle after 10 years,and I get no title,I have to fill out a "RMV 1 " form for "Application for title for a non titled motor vehicle" here in MA..then hand over $50 and they will send me a title in my name in the mail in a few weeks....I dont know if they ever search for any previous history to see if its stolen or has leins on it...probably not...

In Mass,ANY truck,regardless of the year,requires a title!..not sure on cars,it used to be 10 years old or older did not need a title,but I think that was changed as well..anything to charge you more,and get less.. :mad:

Legally,your not even allowed to JUNK a car or truck with no title here!--but few yards ask for them..the guy at the shack where I junked my K20 told me I could keep it if I wanted too!..but I gave it to him anyway!--the numbers were still rivited to the cab,and it was 6" high... :doah: :( I have another title and numbers from another cab I junked due to rust,but I doubt I'll ever use them....I dont think I'll be getting any more trucks anytime soon--no money === no trucks.. :(