Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Title trouble with new blazer...any suggestions?(long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 15, 2002.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifWell I just did about the dumbest thing ever. I went out and bought a 79 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for 500 bucks( a major fixer uper but i have spare parts and time). So when i ask the guy about the title /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif He says,"the guy i bought it from had lost the title and told me i need to apply for a lost tittle but sence its only my mud truck i never even got around to it,"Now let me just say that im only 16 years old so me being all nieve and stuff, I belive him give him the 500 bucks and take it home.So i get on the phone to DMV and they tell me its got a lean against the title. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif They tell me i cant get the title untill the guy pays the loan off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So since i cant find this guy anywhere(not the guy i bought it from, the one HE bought it from ) Im royaly screwed Cause even if i did find him id have probably have to take him to couart on it and he might not pay it and go to jail for violation of a couart order or somthing. So my question to you is, is ther any ting i can do,any loop holes i can jump through to get a title for it or what ...any /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif would be great! thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

boy you sound just like me..im 16 to..went out and bought a blazer for 500 bucks to..needed MAJOR body work..so i bought another one and took everything form that one..and put it in the "better body" which really is a pos to that im fixing up now..dont have the same problem you have..but sounds a lot like me and something i would do lol... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Do you know who the owner is?

If not call teh DOL in your capital and say you need to contact the owner for this reason.. they will send you his name and address.. hop on line, go to www.whitepages.com and get his phone number call his ass and have him sign it over and release all interest...

I JUST did this for my 74 k5! Perfectly legal takes them 2 days if you fax back the paperwork they send you, they'll fax his address back to you...

IF not it'll take you 3 years to get teh title...

Sorry Dude,
    I feel your pain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You need to feel out your profile please. If you are in CA DMV will give you the name of the lien holder. So you can contact him.. Tell him what is going on at that you bought it from another guy.. He can go sue that guy for the rest of his money.. If he is a nice guy he should hand over the lien on it.. The same thing happened to me.. But I new there was a lien on it and I contacted the guy first..

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

personally, i would never buy anything unless it had the tittle, but i ate my words when i bought my 4x4 chevy 87 shortbed, guy couldnt find it, but i wanted the truck SOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!, so we drive the 50 miles to pick it up, and we goto the currency exchange, file for the title, it comes in 8 weeks no hassle at all, of corse i had good vibes from the guy i bought it from and he had proof that he it was paid off., he was the original owner, which was a big fat +, and he just knew what he was talking about, it sure does pay to have knowleage about used trucks, and a father who will drive you there, and will help you make a good decision. anyway try to find a loophole in the system someware.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Well, first of all I would find out who the lien holder is. Once you find out who it is tell them you have the vehicle. If the lien has not been satisfied or is way behind and they have a repo order out and you get caught with the vehicle you may as well have stolen it. Do NOT do something stupid like tell them if they give you your 500 bucks back they can have the vehicle, that is called extortion which is a felony in most places. If the lien is not very much perhaps you can pay it off if if is worth it and get the title transferred to your name. You can ask the bank if you can purchase the lien if the aboved mentioned is not an option. If you own the lien and it is not satisfied then you can repo it yourself and own it.

Like I said, I would call the lien holder and find out if the vehicle has been reported as a repo or not. Be carefull with what ever you choose, the law will be on the side of the lien holder.

John

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

put a lein on it yourself. Check your local laws. In TX you can put a mechanics lein on a truck that you did work on, but you have to own a shop. You can put a storage lein on a truck but there is a risk that the original leinholder could snag it up if he pays the established fees.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i went through this same thing abuot a month ago, My truck got impounded, and i had never gotten around to getting the title transfered, so to get my truck out of impound i had to show proof of ownership, well my title went back 3 or 4 people, none of which had transfered the title so i was in a real bad position, It had a lien on it, so i did what i had to do, cuz i could not find the lien holder, I got a form from the DMV called, "Lien Satisfaction Form" or something like that, i had my buddy go in the DMV for me, (cuz i was being a wuss about it and didnt think that it would work) He just forged the Signatures of the lien
    holder(s) and all was well, the DMV didnt check on it or nothing... *disclaimer* Im in no way Suggesting this, it is illegal and you can get in trouble but im just throwing it out there if you can find a better way to get it done then by all means do it, good luck

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I had a 69 Impala when I was in high school. It did not have a title, but for 200 bucks and 396 big block, who cares. Well I tried to find the original owner of the car, but he was dead. So here is what I did.

I new a guy that had a towing business. He came and took the car. He held it in his lot for 30 days and applied for a salvage title. He got the title back and signed it over to me and I got the car back. This was in AZ. Here is the weird thing. When I went to go and register the car and put the paperwork in my name. The Salvage Title classification disapeared. Don't know if it really did, but I could not find it on the new title, but it was there on the old title.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

The lein holder is a company called North West Title Loans....Now about this Mechanics lein, I have a friend that owns a body shop. with the mechanics lean Does it just wipe out the title loan lean or what?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

ya what he said !!! this is serious [censored] you need 2 be very care full what you say and how you say it you stand a chance at losing the vechicle completly espically here in california if you fill out your profile it helps us help you dont worry we are not gonna come get you or your blazer ( yet anyway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

12. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Go back to the guy you bought it from and try to get your money back, tell him if he doesn't you are going to the cops, would probably help to take someone older with you like your dad. He sold you a vehicle that is owned by someone else!! There was a reason it was only $500. Those title loan people are going to want all of their money or the truck, they aren't much better than loan sharks. They probably make as much money repo'ing and selling cars as they do on the loans. Also, when they catch up with the guy they loaned the money to in the first place, he'll probably claim it was stolen to get them off his back, and guess who has got it in their yard - YOU. Do you want to sit in jail while they figure it out? You might try calling the title loan company and asking what the payoff is but dont tell them who or where you are or they will come get it. Its just like being in possession of stolen property, when they take it, you aren't getting jack. If you cant get any money out of the jerk that sold it to you, and the payoff is more than its worth, sell 500 bucks worth of stuff off it and burn it.

13. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

barraza is pretty much right...first of all, the first guy broke the law by selling off the truck while it had a lien, and by saying that it was free and clear, and that he lost it, when he actually knew he was doing bad stuff. the second guy is just dumb, unless he and the first guy are in cahoots. ask the 2nd guy for the money. have mom and dad talk to this guy, and bring up some civil attorney's name.(it works sometimes) you don't even have to have an attorney, just get a business card or something and let him know that you have spoken with an attorney and you plan on remedying the situation very quickly if the guy doesn't fork over your cash. as far as the truck goes, you might be kinda screwed, but at least try to get the money back. for all you know the first guy actually owned the title, and put it up for collateral for $10,000 cash loan and blew it in Vegas. which means that you are screwed. call the sheriff, ask questions. call dmv, ask questions, hell, go ahead and call an attorney, they all have free consults. look at the bright side, in the end you may uncover a closet full of skeletons, and the first guy might actually be a criminal, you send him to prison, and then you feel like a good citizen, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    and oh yeah, i don't know about all states, but if i remember correctly, you have to be 18 to enter a legally binding contract. i bought something when i was a kid, big mistake, and dad got me out of it...did you at least get a bill of sale, handwritten receipt, or scribble scrabble, or something on paper from the 2nd guy saying that you gave him 500 bucks for the blazer? that would be nice to have.