Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tivo???? Help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Nov 7, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

A few weeks ago someone mentioned Tivo here. Not wanting to hijack I didn't ask too many questions, but could someone please explain this to me. There are a number of shows I would like to record and this seems like the best thing going.

Am I right that this is basically a hard drive that is connected to your TV much like a VCR would be?

Do I get this from my cable company, or do I go somewhere like Circuit City and just buy the unit?

Cost?

Once I have recorded the show, can I burn it on to a DVD or do I have to delete it from the hard drive after I watch it?

Is this a better deal than a DVD recorder?

Thanks for the help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have DVR. The DVR is my cable box. It costs me a extra nine dollors a month. Before you by a Tivo, check with your cable company if they have DVR.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

especially if you have movie channels or have to have a converter for any of the other channels . I was going to buy a TIVO so I could hotrod it, but then I would have had to have my cable box set on whatever movie channel I wanted to record or the "expanded" channels. Kinda ruins the reason for buying it. went with the box from Charter and very pleased.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm pretty sure most cable companies have DVRs. Basically what it does is replace the cable box you already have.

We've had Tivo through DirecTv for goin on five years and it's always a pain now when we go over to my parents house as they just have regular ole boxes.

Bein able to record and watch and pause and rewind and everything whenever you want is a really glorius thing.

The new generation boxes, I believe, can now talk to your puter but they're kinda pricey so we'll just stick with our "antiquated" ones. :haha:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've been checking out Tivo's, too. I'm trying to cut costs, though, so I don't see getting one for a while.

Do you need to subscribe to a service to use it? When I had cheesy DVR software on my computer way back when I had cable, there was a service you could subscribe to just to download the listings. If that's all you pay for (monthly), that's a ripoff... I already know the 2 shows I actually want to see every week...

What the frig is wrong with me?? Is this growing up? I haven't had shows I actually plan ahead to watch since I was a kid with the Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider... :doah: :doah:

I also keep meaning to look into building my own DVR run on Linux. I was also thinking tonight how cool it would be to rip all the kids dvd's to hard drive so we could select them at leisure and stop worrying about where they left the disc... I have all the hardware, just need to get the time and some how-to's...

6. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I have a Tivo DVR from DirecTv, I have had it for about 3 years and dont know how i lived without it. I watch my shows when i have time to watch, the "season pass" is an awsome thing. I only pay an extra $4 a moth on top of my regular bill and got my DVR for only $99 from directv.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are in the market for a new computer get one with MS Media. Mine works great - it downloads a guide and I can either watch on the computer, on the TV (plug in the computer) or burn recorded shows to DVD. It even comes with a remote. i don't know how I ever lived without it.

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

More Info !!!!!!

Do you have to pay for any services ???
    Plug into computer- Audio/Video card inputs ???
    Does it use Aud/Vid out of Direct TV box ???

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I got mine from Dish Network, my contract was up and I kinda played hard-ass with them and ended up with a dual DVR box (works on two TV's, can record two things at once), a DVR for the bedroom, and a regular box for the kitchen, all for no extra charge.

If you are not under a contract with them tell them you're gonna switch to cable, blah, blah, blah.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cable line plugs in to a tuner (I have a laptop) or the back of the computer. Media gets a guide based on your local cable system, you tell it what system. From there you just select what to record and it does the rest. It is plug and play, very simple and there is no service to pay for as long as you already have cable and internet access.

I have no idea how it works with direct TV.

11. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Thanks. It should work with DTV then, just come out of the box.