Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to 60, or not to 60...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Oct 28, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so i've come to a crossroads in my project, and im not sure what to do. my original plan was to SAS it, using 3" brackets, and 4" springs to get me roughly 7" of lift, add a set of 35s, and it would look decent. no big deal, right? i located a Dana 44 out of a mid 70s K20, and bought one SAS kit. turns out the kit was crap, so i sent it back. now i've got a pair of 4" springs, and another kit on order. however, the kit is 6" with enough meat in it to drop the holes in the front hanger down to 4", leaving me with 8" of lift.

while working on my K20 i went over to a co-worker's house to borrow a tool. in his driveway sits a 1979 Dana 60... out of his F350... he told me yesterday that he'd sell it to me for $1000.

my original direction was to go with a mild lift, some mild tires, and have a badass daily driver. suddenly, i may just stick with the 10" of lift, add a set of 38s, and have a really badass daily driver, but 38s would require the 60, as i tend to be very hard on equipment.

what do you guys think? should i 60 it or not?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

go for it. But remember that asking price is exactly that. selling price may be less, beat him down and you will feel even more justified in your decision.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id run the 60 either way...allows you more flexability with where you want to go with your rig. Who knows you may change your mind either way later on...only the 60 lets you go bigger safetly

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep I say go for it. I was like that with my truck. Just gonna run some 35-36s, d/d, light wheeler. Yeah that didn't last long. This way if you do decide to wheel it harder or bigger, you know it will hold up.

5. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got 38 boggers on a 44 8 lug with 513's and have never had a problem..knock on wood..

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your not locked are ya?

I would get the high pinion But do you have a driver drop T-case?​

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a passenger side drop, as i was planning on the 44 up front, but i'm not beyond changing that, since i dont have anything bolted together yet.

8. twoslo4five0

i run a powertrax...its like a posi unit but works justas good as a locker...i used to run 38x11 boggers welded and never broke that i just could not steer it so thats why i changes to the powertrax..or at least i think it is what it is...but if you can get a deal on a 60 go for as long as your not worried about weight...60s are alot heavier than a 44...

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

In a full size truck the weight is negligable...THe strength differance is so huge that who cares about the weight...As for running 38" boggers and not breaking stuff, your just not driving it hard...

10. twoslo4five0

as far as the weight goes i race this truck in mud bogs here in va...as far as going easy on it..my 3 trophies show for that..i turn the motor about 7000 rpm..i dont go easy..44s are alot better than people think..

11. Chaddy

Powertrax doesnt work just as good as a full locker, And a 44 all built up is not as stong as a stock 60. If your REALLY wheelin then its only a matter of time until you see the light. Weight of the 60 is not an issue in a full size rig.

12. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah the weight difference between the two prob isn't much more than a big friend.

but if that makes you feel better about your axle that's fine. im only runnin some sissy-ass 37's and i've got through 5 shafts now on my 10b.

13. Chaddy

:haha: :haha: :haha:

14. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

dont mean to high jack. but does rim size have anything to do with this??? i mean most are running 15's and some 37's... but what if your running a bigger rim... does that help at all???

15. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

only for clearance issues

16. twoslo4five0

well i dont know were your from but around here weelin consits of 5 seconds and 600 hp in a md sling...i guess thats not "real wheeling"..and for me in a ful size rig weight does matter..a 60 weighs about 250 lbs more than a 44 and yes you might have broke a 10 bolt 5 times they are weaker then 44s..i ran 38x11 boggers on a stock 44 welded with a 488 gear and never broke..and have 2 buddies doing the same with a 513 but i guess your definition of "real wheeling" doesnt involve 600 hp and 3 ft mud...sorry thats about as real as i gets...dont hate on a 44 it is a great axle..i will run it aginst a 60 any day in a mud sling in the same truck and garentee a win...thanks

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

um a 10 bolt is almost exactly the same as a 44. the differance in strength is negligable... Thats not opinion, thats fact

18. twoslo4five0

If you put axle shaft up next to one another the 10 bolt behind the splines is its weakest spot...the 44 doesnt have the lil shaved down piece on the axel shaft...the 10 bolt is a lot weaker i ran one before the 44 broke 3 times never broke the 44 you do the math...

19. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah im sure you could search here and pirate and find many comparisons between the 2. both of them have their strengths and weaknesses...neither is really considered to be superior to the other overall.

and i never said your mud boggin wasn't real wheelin. not my thing, but it is fun. in fact, im glad to hear that you can get by with a 44. everyone hears similar experiences all the time. the weight and clearance you have over a 60 are advantages for any type of wheeling.

i was just trying to share that with the wheeling i do coupled with my driving style...a 3/4 ton front axle just doesn't cut it for me.

20. twoslo4five0

and i agree..a 60 is nice..i just get tired of hearing people say that you have to a 60 all the time...i mean you know in my street/trail truck i would love to have one the trouble is finding on with a 513 and locker alone is hard plus i have a hard time giving up 1000 to 2000 dollars on an axel..you know were im coming from...