Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To air or not to air...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kamots, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Hopefully that will get y'alls attention. Now im setting up my shop building so i can start building my rigs up. I asume air tools are the way to go. Does anyone have some links for good air tools (read good= not to dayum expensive). Or do they make electric sets that work as well as air tools or close anyhow. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

use air there's just no replacement for air tools. and ingersol rand is the best brand out there.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I say go cheap. Smaller initial investment. If you need bigger/better tools, buy them as you need them. That's what I've done and it works great.
    You want the biggest air compressor you can realistically afford.
    -- Mike

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a 60 gallon Husky (Campbell Hausfeld) from Home Depot. It was $400... Harbor Freight sells them too. Works well for the cost (it uses a 220v line though so you will need one). As for tools... you don't need to buy the best but don't get the cheapest. I've had great luck with Campbell Hausfeld brand. I think at Sam's Club you can still get the sets. I got one for like $89. It's nice for the price. Just remember to keep them well oiled. I can't say enough about Marvel Mystery Oil... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Thanx guys i think i know which route to take now. I guess i just needed to hear it...hehe. Thanks

Kamots /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

IR stuff is great, so is CP (that's Chicago Pneumatic, not that crap Central). Buy a 60 gal compressor and a high end impact. Do not buy a cheap impact. Say it w/ me "I will not buy a cheap impact", now again...

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well starting with the compressor. Something that can suply above 9cfm at 90psi is good. That will run anything you can throw at it from ait chisle to small Sand blasters. Screw type compressors are DAMN loud as are oilless. Look for a two stage piston.
    Imp[act...don't skimp. Get a good one. Ingersol or Cambelhousfeld.
    I have a CH from Home Depot that does quite good and was around $90.
    Invest in a good moinsture trap. If your going to plub the shop then your far better off putting the moisture traps away from the compressor to give the air a chance to cool and let the moisture condense. They are almost worthless mounting them at the compressor. Yeah they take some of the moisture out but the air is hotter right at the compressor and a lot of it gets buy. If you run 20 foot of plumbing a moisture trap become 4 times as effective at the end of the 20ft then right at the compressor. Moisture is a tools enemy and the better your moisture trap the less problems you will have with the tools.