Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to all 1/2 ton towers!!!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by bad_bo_ti, Mar 7, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i got a 93 chevy 1/2 350 auto, and was wondering how much abuse you guys put your 1/2tons threw. the reason i ask is my buddy and i are wanting to start scrapping cars and other metal to make some side money, i am planning on getting a trailer with brakes and a good brake controler but i dont want to over do it on my truck, i plan on if everything gose good maybe upgrading to a 2wd 1 ton. thanks, chris

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My 97 Z71 tows fine. You dont have quite as much engine though. As long as you have a tranny cooler and keep the weight reasonable you'll be Ok. I would recomend getting a load distributing settup though. Will help ALOT.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I'll assume you mean you have a chevy 1/2 ton regular cab, long bed. Shorter will work, but will require more in terms of stability control.

I suggest you get the following- air bags for the rear springs (when you over load the bed), and some anti sway/weight distributing setup for the trailer. Overall setup shouldnt cost you more than 1k, and very well worth the safety and comfort of towing factor.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

whoops my bad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif its an extended cab short bed. i dont really want to haul much in the bed but the airbags could still be used for the trailer load right?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whoops my bad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif its an extended cab short bed. i dont really want to haul much in the bed but the airbags could still be used for the trailer load right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's just about the same wheelbase as a regular cab long bed, you'll be OK with that setup just like mentionned before get the weight distributing hitch and sway control, and the airbags aren't a bad idea either, not just fro the bed weight but for anytime you are towing, it stiffens and levels the back suspension.

6. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

mine is a 94 1/2 ton extended cab short bad with tow package, tranny and motor oil cooler at 192K now.
    as for abuse i would say mine at least holds up surprisingly well, i tow, haul, plow and wheel (jumped mine, air chevy club) with mine, not very often but... so far for suspention problems i got a bad carrier barring front left of diff where cv joint goes in, not sure what caused that, it took me nearly a year to find what was making that noise (gradual worsening).
    towed a trailer with a TA on it from chicago to orlando and back (21 hours one way) but tranny gave out in orlando (after i had water in it and ran it for 300+ miles with water and got it flushed and all and then went to florida on the fatal trip after 10K miles after the water thing, the truck had 148K on it by then). handles the load quite well too, hauled a 77 K20 from columbus OH too, no problems, just don't try and swerve with a loaded trailer, makes you go HELLLLOO!!
    overall im fricken happy with it (knock on wood), but i would get a 3/4 at least if i was gonna strat over, just for a piece of mind.

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alright thanks guys, now the air bags, how do i know what ones to get, as far as load ratting?

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    alright thanks guys, now the air bags, how do i know what ones to get, as far as load ratting?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are adjustable with how much air you put.

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have a '94 reg cab long box with the towing package. After towing a 17 foot camping trailer cross country I now have an irritating whine from the rear end. I did tow for long stretches in the middle of summer and probably overheated the 10 bolt. If towing is going to be a significant amount of usage your 10 bolt may feel the abuse.

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

so would an extra capicity diff cover help, or an aluminum one?

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL...
    Just do what ALL scrap guys do...
    Fill the truck until the bumper hits the ground...

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

While a different cover won't hurt, I can't say how much it will help since I have no experience with them. I wouldn't buy another 1/2 ton to tow with. Even with a load leveling hitch to even things up I felt the rear of my truck was still a little soft, but if it is all you've got, then use it, just keep up on your maintenance. If you're serious I would keep my eyes open for a better tow rig though. Since it is tax time anyway maybe look into the potential tax benefits of purchasing a work vehicle.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Different diff cover would help keep it cooler- If cash is a little short at the moment, and you dont feel like swapping to a 14Bsf or a 14BFF, you can get by in the meantime by using synthetic diff fluid- in my opinion, I would get the diff fluid first rather than the cover, since the cover only works if the fluid has already heated up a lot, which means the gears are producing even more heat!

Airbags are adjustable, they just go between the frame and the leaf spring pack.

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alright thanks guys, i plan on trying to find a low budget tow rig 2wd old chevy 1 ton dually, but i need to get things rolling first. thanks, chris