Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to all rear disc brake conversion folks, PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Mar 15, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am looking into putting rear disc brakes on my jimmy, and also will be putting a new master cyl on it in the mext few days. i know that disc brakes require a lot more fluid and i know that i have a small rear resivour on the current master. my Q? is, is there a master cylinder for a vehicle with 4 wheel disc brakes that will fit my truck? and would there be any bennifit? just currious, i AM CHANGING IT because it died on me, so if i can up grade then now would be the time
    thanks
    ~~~jeff

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I used one on my 87K5 that was spec'd for a 1 ton 89-90 GM truck/Van with 4 wheel disc brakes. Went to NAPA with my old MC and went thru their book until we found a 4 wheel disc brake MC that had the same bolt patterns and connecting points/threads. Cost me about $126

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im using the stock style master cylinder. Just gut the proportioning valve like grimmy did on the write up.

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah, uhhhh /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif i already have to change the master, so i want to get one that will work with the current system. rather than buying the same master, and changing something else, i want to get teh the master best suited for this application without having to do it and every thing else. it just makes sense to me since i have to change the master any way

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, uhhhh /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif i already have to change the master, so i want to get one that will work with the current system. rather than buying the same master, and changing something else, i want to get teh the master best suited for this application without having to do it and every thing else. it just makes sense to me since i have to change the master any way

[/ QUOTE ]
    You may still need to change the proportioning valve as the one on there now is designed for disc/ drum brakes not disc/ disc. So if you want to do it "right" you should change it too.

6. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

89-90 1 ton trucks/vans had rear disc brakes?