Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To all who have repainted their Blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAMA74K5, Apr 13, 2000.

1. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

I am looking for a cheap and easy way to remove all the old paint from my Blazer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, I want to repair as much of the rust on my vehicle as possible. I have been sanding the rust spots down, clearing out as much rust as I can, and then filling in the holes with J&B Weld. Is this the best technique or is there a better way? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Brad

Brad Registered Member

The cheapest way I know to remove old paint is to get a 1 gallon bucket of paint stripper and a clean towel/rag. Rub the all of the paint you want removed in a circular motion with liberal amounts of stripper. Then, BEFORE the stripper has dried, take a match and set fire to the vehicle. After about 30 minutes or so extinguish the BLAZE (no pun intended). If any paint remains simply repeat the process. Hope this helps.HA!

Brad 84Jimmy

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used some stuff on a car to strip it . Not sure of name but mar-hyde makes it . You paint it on and it will dry and turn the paint to powder . The other stuff stays wet and makes a mess . Check an auto paint supply place in your area .

4. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

ther is no substitute for good old elbow grease. how good of a paint job do you want? if you want it perfect, and by that i mean, mirror finish absolutely no blemishes. then use elbow grease and cut the rust spots out, and weld new metal in, and get a good body shop to do the painting; because they have the paint booths and the right equipment and experience . if you are wanting a good basic paint job, elbow grease to smooth the body then clean it to make sure there is no wax or silicon anywhere near the thing, and rust, i read in the latest issue(i think) petersen off road about a marine paint that is supposed to stop rust in its tracks. i have never used it. if you paint it yourself then by a gallon of the cheapest(depending on the size of the shop)and spray the place down, this will cover any dust and dirt or loose particles and keep them down, or spend a day or two cleaning the place. watch the temperature and the humidity because both of these have an affect on the paint if you do not have a booth. if you just want it to look better for off roading purposes then you can not beat a can of spray paint; because if you trully off road then you will have so many brush-scratches and trail dents n dings you will never get them out and spray paint will keep them covered.
    hope this helps

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The first thing to do is stop putting JB weld in the holes......are you serious? To fix rust it has to be cut out.
    The only other option I would consider is a product called POR 15.....supposed to be the cats meow for rust.
    http://www.por15.com I think. Lots of manual labor, just like the previous post said. If ya don't do it right you'll be doin' it again.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm