Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To all who went fuel injected....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tommy, Jan 16, 2001.

1. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I plan to put TPI on my 70 K5 soon, my question is what you guys did for fuel? I could put an inline, but had rather put a different tank with intank pump. What or how did you go about it? I have an aftermarket huge tank I may part with if I go with different tank. Tommy

Drive it Like You Hate It!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm running a TPI from an '87 Corvette. I didn't want to mess with the in-tank pump, since they're a pain to change if they go bad. I'm running a Bosch external pump from a Jaguar V-12 application. I don't recall what year. [​IMG] Mine's mounted in the frame rail, above the rear axle.

Back in the 70's, Saabs used a rubber isolator to mount their exhaust systems. It has a threaded portion sticking out each end, but they don't touch each other, they're isolated by the rubber. I used a few of these to mount the pump to the frame to minimize any noise.

My '75 didnt' have a fuel return line, so I had to drop the tank and remove the sending unit assembly. Drilled an additional hole and then installed a bulkhead fitting for the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. It bleeds excess fuel back to the tank via this line. I plumbed most of it with brake line, then used compression-to-barbed fittings to attach rubber line at the ends.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I have an external TBI pump now, but plan to go to an in tank as soon as I find a tank with baffles in it. With an access hole in the floor you can get to the pump pretty easy, and I think they run a little better since they stay cooler. And don't have to suck fuel up very far, it's right there!

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

We installed an in tank pump out of a TBI truck in the tank of my brother's '70 when we put on a pro-jection system. It worked, but it's a real tight squeeze as the opening on the older tanks is much smaller than the newer ones. This is a lower pressure pump, and it will not work for a TPI, but you could probably put a Camaro pump in your tank.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Stephen, What in-line pump are you using now? Why do you want to go to an in-tank?

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Stephen, you might try Riverside Truck parts in Greely. I bought mine there a few years ago when I did the motor swap. Bolts right in place of the diesel tank. (If I remember right, your's was originally diesel to?)

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Steve Fox and I are using the Walbro 255 high pressure in tank fuel pump. I haven't installed mine yet but it will be supplying fuel for a 496ci engine with MPFI. I know Steve's has been working great. I had a link to buy these but it seems to be down at the moment.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I installed a fuel tank and pump from a 91 K5. It had the pump, sender, tank with baffles, and return line. This is the easy way to have a reliable fuel system. The Baffled tank with Internal pump is probably the best setup. I think you could get a late model tank in your 70. Look for an 87 -91 K5 with Fuel Injection.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The nice thing about using an in-tank pump is that it stays cool and water and mud forging isn't an issue, my stock pump lasted 170,000 miles (11 years), I was going to put an access hole over the top of it, but I can deal with dropping the tank every 10-15 years. (the sound of knocking on wood)

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff