Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To all you First Genners(67-72 P/U) with Big Blocks

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Did you keep the original engine mount crossmember?
    Did you swap it out for a 73up style?
    Did you custom make your own?

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I had mine on the factory frame I used the factory small block crossmember with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. D.W. jr

D.W. jr Registered Member

I used the factory small block crossmember and smallblock mounts. everything lined up great, I had to dimple the firewall a tiny bit for the valve covers to clear though. Dennis. engine is a 427 tall deck truck motor

4. roostr34

roostr34 Registered Member

yes, no, no.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replys fellas. I am trying to adapt a 73 up crossmember. I'm starting to wonder if the benifits of doing this are worth it?
    Here is a pic, kinda dark....
    [​IMG]
    This pic has the frame engine mount plates, they are just siting there cuz I need to spread open the C channel frame to get them inside then bolted.
    [​IMG]
    With the forward mounted member the oil pan will remove easyly.

Can you guys drop the oil pan with the stock member there? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I know my with my 350 I could not remove the pan with out lifting the engine. I hated that!
    Thanks
    Burt

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

no you will NOT be able to drop the oil pan with the stock crossmember.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Bro /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I figured if the 350 pan would not come out then surly a BBC pan would not.

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

My pan definitely wouldn't come out with the crossmember in place. Just for comparision, here's my stock crossmember shortly before I put in the 454. I hope your situation works out, the article made it sound like an easy bolt in, guess not.

[​IMG]

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya YJ that is the same one I removed, I still have it just incase.
    That artical says that two of the orginal holes line up to find out were the x-member goes. My first attempt and installing it...well I belive I used the wrong two holes so now I'm back to square one /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I'm thinking of trying to call that "Paul's RV" that is listed in the artical to ask if he can varify wich two holes, but I think I may have found them already /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have to keep in mind that these trucks were designed without big block option until 73, so you are doing a custom conversion by installing a BBC engine into a 4x4, and also technically 2wd before 68

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

?? ahhh what? Not sure what your point was /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...i'm a lil slow somtimes??

12. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

hey burt i did the swap you are talking about. i had a 1971 frame with smallblock crossmember but didn't want to use the old style mounts and had a 74 donor truck (small block mounts i think!) i used the engine crossmember with offroad design mounts. i also used the front xmember for the swaybar with ofd quick disconnects i had to mock up and drill new mounting holes but i was able to move engine forward to help firewall clearance also it is worth the swap /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool! I was begining to think I was the only one on this planet that was doing this, well besides the article I read on it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Do you hapen to have any build up pics?
    When you say you moved it forward I assume you moved your whole drivetrain? Tranny and all? I don't want to do that way to much work. I have a 3"body lift so I got the clearance already /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.
    Do you recall using any of the original crossmember holes?
    Acording to that artical....I'll go find it...
    here it is...the guy says two of the orginal holes..wel I found two holes but I didn't read slower..two of the original crossmember holes are used...hahahah so I have to move it back about 1" due to my lack of reading skills /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]
    anyway I hope to get it in the right spot this weekend...any info you can share would be great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

burt i was converting from a 4-speed to an auto so i had to move the tranny crossmember anyways. i dont have pics with engine out but i could shoot some with it in if you want? with the smallblock i had little firewall-distributor clearance an hei dist was almost touching the firewall. i mounted the radiator then mocked the engine up so i had proper dist to firewall and fan to radiator clearance (the stock 1st 4x4 fan shroud is way to deep i used the 2nd gen with a little teaking it worked) i have read the 1st gen crossmembers cause oilpan clearance problems with the big block but i am not sure? pm me and i can email you some pics i haven't posted pics here before so i am not sure how to do that! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya thats cool, I think I got it figured out. I didn't get much done this weekend so no real updates...
    Have a great week all.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm building a big block for my 72, and was wondering which radiator will work best.
    Thanks

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am using a 4core rad. It is the rad they used for our years but just in the BBC trucks....SBCs came with 3row rads. I run a cluch fan with an electric backup or trail fan when the slow get slower and the days get hotter /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thanks burt, will the 2wd 4core fit, I know the k5's didn't come with a bbc option, and how about aluminum, is it worth the differance in cash? One last one for y'all out there, how about any aftermarket engine mounts, like energy suspension, anybody have any luck finding one to fit there beasts?
    Thanks Y'all /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I don't think the rad suport is any different between 2x and 4x. I ordered mine from www.radiators.com. I did look into going aluminum but it would have been $500+. I paid like 180 for the 4core and it works great.
    I don't know about the mount question...try a search I think there was a topic on this here somewere...

20. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

you can also use 2nd gen 4-core. you just have to run heater hose to rad instead of water pump.