Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To anybody who's cut and rotated srping perches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Feb 20, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

To anybody who\'s cut and rotated srping perches

I'm gonna be rewelding mine tomorrow for my CV shaft. I'm gonna shoot for 1 degree down at the pinion. I'm gonna follow the directions I've read in other posts on how to do it right. I know this would vary considering how many degrees you are trying to rotate, but say for about 10 degrees, do the perches move a whole lot, or are we talking like 1/4"? The reason I ask is that my truck won't fit into the shop so I'm gonna drop the axle, take that into the shop and I'm just lookin for a good place to start. Even though the truck will only be about 8 feet away, that's alot when movin a 14FF back and forth. Thanks for lookin, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction.

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Re: To anybody who\'s cut and rotated srping perches

10 degrees will move them more than 1/4" your easy way would be to cut them loose with the axle still in the truck. Take the U-bolts off one side and cut that perch loose. put the ubolts back on with the perch sitting loose on the axle. Repeat for the other side. Then put a floor jack under the pinion and jack it up till you have it at the angle you want. Tack weld the perches. Remove the axle take it inside and weld it up. This way you can be sure it is positioned correctly.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Re: To anybody who\'s cut and rotated srping perches

Damn good idea, thanks man that's exactly what I will do.