Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to anyone that has installed ProComp brake lines..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 23, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok...2 questions...

1) Is it just me, or do those cheesy zip-ties that they include not fit around the shocks like they are 'sposed to? I have RS5000s...not like they are super-fat or anything...and yet they wont fit around them and have enough length to run through the plastic brackets and still "zip". I'm talking about the gromet/brackets that are supposed to keep the new brake lines from going places they shouldnt. I know I could run to the hardware store to get some real zip ties....but figured I'd ask here just in case the ProComp guys arent complete idiots...

2) To be honest, these extended brake lines dont seem all that long...perhaps I attached the caliper end of the brake line wrong....right now the blocks on the end of the new brake lines point the lines towards the rear of the vehicle...is that right, or should the line go straight up from there?

Thanks much for any help...I am kinda pissed with "pro" comp right now, because a single diagram in the directions...and a zip tie ONE INCH longer would seem to make everything a snap... =(

Jason

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey, another NW'er ..............cool.

Did the Pro Comp conversion when we did my one ton/4" lift project. First, the zip ties I got with the kit worked fine, tho I added a second one to make the install a little more sanitary.........second, did you order a specific length? Mine are long enough to completely flex (on a 23* ramp) the truck and not pull the brake lines. I got mine from ORD. One thing Stephen mentioned to me is the 'banjo fitting' (where it mounts to the caliper) could be 'rounded off' so you can rotate it to put it in the optimum position.......then tighten it down...........might want to try that with a bench grinder...........just make sure you tape off the hole [​IMG].

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. jekbrown

Yeah, they are 'sposed to be for rigs with 4-6" of lift....I have 4 myself...I guess without seeing it ramp I can't really tell if they are long enough to go through complete flex. At any rate, those zips just aint going to cut it...guess its off to the store...

BTW, always cool to see another K5 guy in the NW. =) To many jeep yahoos around these parts for my liking. =p

J

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, man, we got a few of us on here...........me in Gresham, mudhog (Portland), elkboy (Beaverton), blue beast (Bend, OR), chevyfumes (Vancouver too), Blue Knight (Tigard), Kent (Roseburg), Brians60s (Bend), hawglet (Pendleton but moving to Nebraska - huh!?!?!?!? [​IMG]), AGM73K5 (Portland) and a few I probably forgot...........[​IMG]

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. jekbrown

Cool deal. Hey, when I went to do the other side's brake line, I remembered what u said about shaving the little block on the line so that it could point the line straight up. Well, curious as always, I just tried it without shaving just to see how much I would have to take off....and it fits without shaving. =p Freaky...guess it depends on the model or whatever. Anyway, guess they are plenty long after all... ;)

J

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yeah I installed mine straight up. That makes a pretty big difference, I think.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

rock on PNW,
    Born in oregon lived in washington, now in AZ. but hey some day i will be back. i am thinking oregon, but not sure where yet...
    need about 8 acres of land.....
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.