Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To anyone who has ever rebuilt their sm465,quick question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mpascino, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Well I somehow managed to chip the input gear last night while trying to chase down the awful rattling noise I have at low rpms (<800) when unloaded. Not one of my finer moments, now the trans needs to come out again.... My question is about the rebuild. The manual I had said several gears had to be pressed off the main shaft. I only needed to press off the 3/4 servo assembly. Everything else, besides the main shaft bushings pretty much slid of the splines. There was a very small amount of play between one of the gears and the shaft, but at the time I was not worried about it. Are these supposed to be pressed on and is it possible this is causing the noise that is going to lead to me driving the thing of a bridge? Before my circus stunt last night the truck drove fine without problems besides the noise. Thanks again......Anyone got a good deal on a nv4500?

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sorry I have no input on this... just wanted to comment on the cheap nv4500... if ya find 2 call me :grin:

as my smc456 pops out of 2nd... well you know... L-1-2 when I let off of the gas.... i dont care to rebuild it as I am buying a 85 chevy blazer with one in it for $100 to strip for parts.... motor in my bros jeep and steering wheel and trans in my truck...

but nv4500 I will be looking for too

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

How bad is the chip? Not all gear chips are fatal.
    Post a pic or two if possible - I used to rebuild heavy truck transmissions, and you'd be surprised at what Eaton-Fuller said was good to go...

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I will see if I can get a good pic in the next day or so, thanks! Any one have any ideas about the pressing on of the gear though?

6. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

How bad is that rattling really?? Can you hear it with the radio on?? My SM does make a noise when in neutral and running with the clutch out. Actually, both my trucks with that trans do it. SM465's are a very reliable tranny, but they are also very clunky and noisy. I compare it to driving an old tractor-and one of mine was rebuilt a year ago, before I bought the truck because the engine rebuilder forgot the pilot bearing in the motor and it hurt the trans. What I'm trying to say is that you should just come to terms with the noises and drive it until it starts making bad noises going down the road or vibrating like mine did. I'm 30 and I've been driving chevy trucks with 'granny 4 speeds' in them since I was 14 and every one I have ever driven has been noisy and clunky, so I would say yours is probably just fine until it starts acting up when shifting or actually going down the road.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GM part number 14020811 will fix that problem. Costs about $7.

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

The noise is pretty bad. Lets put it this way, I would absolutely not buy a truck I planned on driving, new or old with the noise. Once I actually get it back together I might try to take a video with audio and see if it shows the severity...Lets put it this way, you can hear it over my cell phone if I am in the truck.......I know they can be noisy but I would think you throw enough time and money at the damn thing, there has to be a reason behind it......It drives absolutely fine.... Thanks again,
    Mike

9. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Bueller, Bueller......?