Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To Bead Lock or not to Bead Lock??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Apr 24, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I am debating whether I should or I shouldnt get bead lock rims now that I am converting to my 1 ton axels? They will cost an additional 400 bucks. What do you guys think are they worth it??? They look damn cool that is for sure... :) Thanks

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They llok cool and definately will be worth it if you rock crawl alot...

The only thing wrong is the DOT legal aspect. There are a bunch of guys over at the Pirate board checking into it at the Federal level to see if there are any such laws or codes against beadlocks. In PA, there is no codes in the state DOT that say that Beadlocks are illegal!(according to a state trooper that checked into it)

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

have you ever popped the tire off the rim? If not save your money......$400 could buy a new gadget for your truck!

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

In the People's Republik of Kalifornia, they are ILLEGAL!!!! It's in the vehicle code. City cops and deputies probably don't know, but I'm sure there's some CHP that do. Another drawback, not experience but heard fourth hand from a friend of a friend of a friend, the bolts have to be checked all the time to make sure they are not coming out. Just my .02 before taxes.

Stan

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

They are legal in Missouri, nothing more than a high tech split rim. I've put several thousand miles on mine and never have had to retorque the bolts. Mine are stock aluminmum wheels with Champion beadlocks. I'm not sure if the same holds true with steel beadlocks as far as the bolts coming loose.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They are legal here in Colorado, and illegal in Utah. I've had mine for a little over 2 years, and don't drive them on the street much. I haven't noticed the bolts loosening up, but I have broken 2 of them. One of them I ignored, then the one right next to it broke on the highway, fortuantly I had the windows down and heard the wooshing noise, pulled right over and fixed it. They are great for rockcrawling, but I would not reccomend them for everyday use. Occasional highway use should be OK, but the tires don't center very well on the wheel, leading to really bad vibes. I run MRT (I think) beadlocks on my old American Racing 15x10 white spokes, w/4-1/8" backspacing. At a bare minimum, get ones with 5/16 bolts (what I have), 3/8 would be better. I had a friend lose a tire off the wheel a few years back, he had 1/4" bolts on Aluminum/Carbon Fiber wheels.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd