Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To BEadlock or not to BEadlock

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have been thinking about buying some Beadlocks for my 3/4 ton swap and I need to ask some questions. Do any of you have beadlocks on your rig which is driven daily? They say the beadlock is not D.O.T. approved because if you loose or break a bolt, the others will fall out or break resulting in your tire coming off the rim. I would assume a Lifted rig would not want the tires falling off at say 70 MPH. I drive my Blazer daily and I need to know if these rims are safe for highway.

<font color=red>UPDATE!!</font color=red> This is more of a question of my saftey and not the legalities of this option. I have heard the beadlock ring can come off and cause the wheel to leave the rim. This would = Very Bad Accident. It is good to have you guys remind me to check the DMV though.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

2. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

Well I know need locks are not legal in Tx. Or else I would have some on my truck ,Check with your local dps office or state inspection sation or run them and see if anybody stops you and gives you aticket. I would make a few calls first. just my .02 later Bruce

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I think in a 4wpws ad i saw a DOT legal beadlock rim.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Screw the DMV and get the beadlocks [​IMG]! j/k</font color=blue>

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I called around one time to see what the police said. The local guy didn't know what a beadlock was and said he had never heard of it. I called the Ga state patrol office and they didn't know either and they said go ahead since nobody really new what they are any way. Hell it just looks like any other rim on the market. Tell them the bolts don't go through that there just for looks.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If anyone hassles you just tell them they're "streetlocks" and are only for show. Aside from Depdog and a few others on this board how many cops do you think could tell the difference? [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

That's my theory exactly... there aren't many people that will know what they are, and those that do would probably think it's really cool. When I get new tires this winter I'm planning on getting some beadlocks installed.

This brings up a related question, does anyone know what rims "take" beadlocks the best?? I've seen them on everything from stock steel to chromed alloys but I don't know any of the pros and cons.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

8. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

well i have heard that you can't drive faster than 40 mph (not from a reliable source) i have also heard that the bolts can come loose (that would suck) i talked to the losers at 4 wheel parts and they said that there was 50 reasons that they are not dot approved but they couldn't think of any so back to square one i want bead locks too but if they are not dot approved then that makes me wonder why? safty? i dont know, and i dont think there would be any problems with the po-po i just wonder if they are safe for the road. sounds like it is time to do some reserch.

<font color=orange>SMP</font color=orange>

9. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

<font color=red>IMPORTANT!!! YOU ALL NEED TO READ THESE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT BUYING BEADLOCKS FOR STREET USE!!!</font color=red> I found this note at the bottom of the page on MRT site.

<font color=blue>MRT NO WARRANTY POLICY
    MRT offers racing wheels and other products for sale only upon the conditions and terms contained in this disclaimer of liability and indemnity agreement. Due to
    many varied and different conditions to which MRT wheels and other products are exposed and because of the manner in which racing is conducted, MRT makes
    absolutely NO WARRANTIES (INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES AS TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS), EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, with respect to any
    MRT wheels or other products and MRT shall not be liable for any damages arising from their use.
    MRT WHEELS ARE SOLD AS IS.
    MRT racing wheels and tires are not tested nor labeled to meet FMVSS 109 or ECE36 safety standards. Therefore, it is dangerous and illegal to sell racing tires and
    wheels for use on public streets or highways. Any person selling MRT wheels, or using MRT products for street use, agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and
    reimburse MRT for all loss, damage, or liability including attorney's fees, MRT may suffer because of such sales or use. Not applicable where prohibited by law.
    MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS WARNING
    Tire changing should done by trained personnel using proper tools and procedures. Failure to follow safe mounting procedures could cause faulty positioning of the tire
    and cause the assembly to burst with explosive force sufficient to cause serious personal injury or death. Clean rim and lubricate beads with rubber lubricant. Always
    lock rim on mounting machine or place assembly in safety cage. Use air hose with clip on chuck and extension air gauge.

THESE WHEELS WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR STREET USE!
    FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY!</font color=blue>

The reason they are not D.O.T. approved is NOT because the COPs dont want them, in fact it has nothing to do with police at all. It has everything to do with safety. When the beadlock outer rim is removed, you WILL lose the tire. Please consider this when you buy the rims. I think the only rims I would consider out of the links above would be the 36 bolt beadlocks. This would allow more security in case of a bolt breaking. Never drive beadlocks with a bolt removed or broken on the locking ring. I think I drive the K5 too much for beadlocks. The question I have for everyone is - Do you have any friends who are still alive after logging about 20,000 miles on the highway with beadlocks? If you do, I want to hear about it.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Several guys in our club run beadlocks, but none of these vehicles are daily drivers.....though they do spend their fair share of time of the highways driving to trails. They have had no problems but they have to constantly check the torque on the bolts. Another problem is that the outer lip likes to hold mud so they often have to stop at the end of the trail and clean them out to avoid bad vibrations on the pavement.

12. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

i noticed that all the beadlock rims on MRT's web site are 15" so i called them and they told me that they don't make a bigger rim and to check stockton wheels just FYI

<font color=orange>SMP</font color=orange>

13. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

What about Tirelok? These are the short tubes that go inside the tire. Legal and safe. I think Titanic runs these on his 16.5" wheels.

Shawn
    87 K5
    [​IMG]

14. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have the Tireloc beadlocks and I like them. You don't have to buy new wheels, they are street legal, can still be balanced, only way to get beadlocks for 16.5 wheels. They are pricey but, a $25 innertube is the only thing that might have to be replaced over time. I have some very useful tips on the installation if someone buys some. http://www.tireloc.com