Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To body lift or not to body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Sep 23, 2003.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am hoping one day to run 36" or 37" tires on my K5 some of the guys in my local club and friends of mine tell me to do a 3" body lift. I dont' really want to lift more than 4"-6" going to put a 4" on now willing to cut fenders too. what are some opinions about bodylifts....Jason

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If you're going to do a spring lift already I would just do a 1" body lift max that way you won't run into some of the adjustment issues you would with the 3".

3. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I have 2wd Blazer that I am converting to 4wd.I have installed 3 inch Body Lift and I like it.I am going to raise my rear bumper up 3 inches with plate steel brackets.Front doesn,t look to bad will raise it later.I plan to hang Dana 60 in rear and Dana 60 or similar up front, 3/4 ton 8 lug.That with a 4 to 6 inch spring lift will about do it.I am going to run 15,s x 38 or 40,s.Try to plan ahead as much as possible.I dont do that much Rock Crawling, mostly mud around here.All depends on how you are going to use your Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 3" body lift on mine and I don't have any problems with it. Only reason I'm thinking of removing it is that now that I cut my fenders, I don't think I really need it anymore.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a 1" body lift... works for me. I to want low lift but big tyres. I can fit 39.5 TSLs on my rig the way it is now. 5" of susp lift, 1" of BL + trimmin.

pic

j

6. TxK5Blazer

Since I am doing a echobit shackle flip rear and 4" springs up front I could at some 1" zero rates to the front and that should get me about 5" all the way around then add the 1" body lift and I should be able to run 37" no problem right. Or is my thinking all wrong .....Jason

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

If you're willing to trim your fenders to fit big tires, then a body lift probably isn't for you. It's only gonna raise the center of gravity and make it easier to tip over.

If you have nice sheet metal, and want to keep it nice for awhile, and don't want to hack it up (like me) then I think a body lift is fine, I have 6" suspension and 3" body lift. I run 15x38's, and they clear so far, but I haven't gotten the truck twisted up yet (still breaking in new engine).

Anyway, I think body lifts have their place, but probably not on a rock crawling or severe trail duty rig. Just my opinion!

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I believe Wayne has 4" suspension lift and with some trimming he fit 37s with room for flex. I personally do not like body lifts and will hold off from installing one until I have to which hopefully will be never.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If you're willing to trim your fenders to fit big tires, then a body lift probably isn't for you. It's only gonna raise the center of gravity and make it easier to tip over.

If you have nice sheet metal, and want to keep it nice for awhile, and don't want to hack it up (like me) then I think a body lift is fine, I have 6" suspension and 3" body lift. I run 15x38's, and they clear so far, but I haven't gotten the truck twisted up yet (still breaking in new engine).

Anyway, I think body lifts have their place, but probably not on a rock crawling or severe trail duty rig. Just my opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Something else to think about (assuming you DON'T want to cut your fenders excessively)....

A body lift will change your center of gravity LESS than a spring lift of an equivalent height. The heaviest stuff (frame, axles, engine, tranny) don't move any higher, just the body shell....

It's probably not a HUGE difference, but when you're on a sidehill you might be grateful that the weight is a little lower? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 6" suspension and 3" body lift. I run 15x38's, and they clear so far, but I haven't gotten the truck twisted up yet (still breaking in new engine).

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have only driven your truck on the road then. I managed to make my tires rub in the yard with the same setup. If you thought 6 + 3 was enough lift to run 38s without cutting your fenders, you're going to be disappointed at just how far you've got to cut your fenders to make it fit. Unfortuantely the fenders are just not 38" wide in the front, and ultimately, trying to stuff a 38" tire into a 33" or so wide fender just doesn't work!

If I were going to run a 37" tire, I would start with a 6" suspension lift (a la 6" springs). I wouldn't put a zero rate on it right off the bat. Obviously if you have to use a zero rate before you even drive your truck, 4" springs weren't for you in the first place. Just go 6" and be done with it.

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, which according to my wife "ain't S@#$", body lifts are for the mud, or the mall. If you plan on doing any kind of trail running or crawling, run away run away from body lift. BIG springs and a Sawzall are all you need for K5 heaven. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Bodylifts are for mud or the mall huh? i see quite a few rigs on the trail that run 1,2,3" Body lifts and wheel just fine, these arent just Hack job rigs either..... Bodylifts get more of a bad rap then they deserve.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey by the way.....

How far are the best malls from the Slickrock campground???

If I'm driving all the way to Moab, you can bet I want to hit all the BEST spots!!!

-Greg "call me a mall poser 2-inch bodylift" 72

14. jekbrown

everyone talks about how a body lift makes the body-to-frame connection weaker... but no one addresses the real world possibility that the factory body mount bolts on a 20 year old rig can be almost completely rusted away. I know when I put my ORD 1" body lift on, the bolts up front by the radiator had lost about half their diametere because of rust. I have little doubt that the connection between frame/body is stronger having replaced those nasty bolts in my rig. Just a thought. Doing a body lift is always a good excuse to replace body mount bushings... which tend to be wasting away on old rigs too...

j

15. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I just don't personally like 'em. Knew those comments of mine might stir up some stuff, but what can I say? My opinions are known to fly out of my mouth or into a keyboard before My brain even has a chance to examine the crap going out of it. That's why I quit drinkin...

16. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I second the nasty old bolts remarks. Mine were just about toast when I put on my 2" body lift. I actually put my 2" on to get more firewall clearance for an engine swap that I was doing. I have since changed that engine out and liked my body lift well enough to keep it. I have wheeled the wee out of my K5 with the 2" and have never had a problem. Just my opinion...

17. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I just don't personally like 'em. Knew those comments of mine might stir up some stuff, but what can I say?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!! nothing wrong with a good discussion. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Moving the body away from the frame certainly has its negative aspects and bigger body lifts can be a pain to install. There are some positives to doing the lift as well. I have a 1" ORD body lift. It uses pucks that are solid 6061-T6 aluminum. I think its a decent way to get a little lift, much firmer connection body-to-frame than some of the 3" body lift kits I have seen, and at only an inch tall... prolly doesnt create toooo much more strain on the hardware than the factory setup. In any case, to each their own... there are peeps out there who run (and like!) their 3" body lifts (where are you shane74?! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) I think the most important thing is that we get as much info about bodylifts out there as possible so peeps who are considering them know all the pluses and minuses.

j

18. TxK5Blazer

If I were going to run a 37" tire, I would start with a 6" suspension lift (a la 6" springs). I wouldn't put a zero rate on it right off the bat. Obviously if you have to use a zero rate before you even drive your truck, 4" springs weren't for you in the first place. Just go 6" and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really am not looking to go with 6" I would like to stay with 4" and cut the fenders and maybe a 1" body lift this will be a rock rig and that is why i want to keep it at 4". in order to make it level I may need the zero rates in the front. I am thinking I should be able to fit 36's or 37's this way ....Jason

19. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Dont lift the body. Buy a Sawzall!!!

20. jekbrown

Im a big fan of fender trimming, but put a huge enuff tire on a low enuff lift and it'll eventually hit the part of the cab where ur feet rest wont it? could sawzall that off I guess... but it would make hitting a mud puddle pretty miserable. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j