Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To buy or not to buy? Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 20, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a possible deal lined up for a '78 long bed rolling chassis w/ 14bolt locked rear, D44 locked front, t case (I think a 205) and tranny (I think a t400) for $1000. Sounds like a pretty kickin deal. I guess the guy just has to get crap off his lot.

I would be using these things in my '83 k5 that i'm building. It's got a 6.2 L Diesel motor, and I want to run 35's. The guy thinks the gear ratio is 4.11 (I'll verify, for sure). Is this a low enough gear ratio for me? I've got the 700 tranny in my truck now - what advantage might i have between these two trannies?

To identify if the 14b is an FF or SF, all i need to know is the ring gear diameter - the 9.5" being the SF and the 10.5 being the FF, right? What kinds of things should I look for? Is there a way that I can identify the brand of the lockers? I understand that this used to belong to a friend who wrecked the truck, and kept the motor, but gave the chasis to his buddy (maybe just to sell?). In terms of wreckege, is there any hidden things I should look for?

Thanks!
    Colby Stephens
    www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

in case you're getting x's from the above post like I am, the full float is identified by a hub that sticks through the wheel center with 8 bolts on it.

you'll have to pull the covers to identify the lockers, but also bring a tape measure to check fro frame damage- if you plan to keep or sell it. Otherwise I doubt the axles or trans or case were hurt in a wreck.

$1,000 seems like an OK price, not a screaming deal for 3/4 running gear, but not bad. The junkyards around here would sell those pieces individually for a total of $1500 for comparison purposes

4. colbystephens

those pics don't come up on my screen, and apparently i'm not able to access the link you posted. however, is it the same as under the "technical" section on the ck5 website? the impression i get is that the 14bFF has the more square corners, where as the SF is more rounded. Is that correct?

colby stephens

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sorry, fixed the link

6. colbystephens

i do intend to pull the covers, to make certain of the gear ratio. once i'm inside, how can i identify the different types of lockers? i'm not too familiar with axle mechanics - is there an easy tell-tale sign that says "this is detroit" or "this is eaton" etc.?

would 4.11 ratio work for 35's?

colby

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Rather see 4.56 but 4.11 will " work"

8. colbystephens

that's kinda what i figured.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Easiest way to tell the SF vs. the FF is to look at the center of the rear wheels. If there is a 'hub' sticking out nearly as far as your wheel hub & locking hub in the front do, then it's an FF.