Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To buy or not to buy????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dysphemism, May 3, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I went to the target range today with my new .22 plinker and the 870 magnum 12 gauge. They had 4 sks siminovs for sale, each for $249. They looked to be in very good condition, all parts intact, fixed bayonet. My friend actually bought one of them. Anyone have an opinion of this gun? Does this sound like a good deal?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to be able to get SKS's for $100.00 .

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

around here you still can

Those Guns are dangerous /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Why do you say they are dangerous?

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Ya can you elaborate on why they are dangerous? I've heard they can have some worn out parts sometimes that cause them to only fire in 2-3 round bursts. Is that what you are talking about?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Those Guns are dangerous /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ] why i know several people that have them and have never had any problems with them /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I was out shooting my dads SKS a few years ago, I had shot maybe 30-40 rounds through it and put it down for a bit, about a hour later I loaded it up again and pulled the bolt back to get one in the chamber and when the bolt returned BANG! without a pull of the trigger it went off, after cleaning my pants out I emptyed it out and tore it down to see WTF happened, I could find nothing wrong visually so I figured it was a freak incident, So I loaded it up again pulled the bolt back and pulled then trigger and it did not go off /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif "I thought that was odd"
    I pulled the bolt back again a shell popped out and it loaded another one just like it should have. I thought ok whatever. by this point I was thinking I should just put it down but I decided I would finish off the what was in the gun and call it a day. So I shot off a few rounds and it jammed
    I pulled the bolt back and the extractor did not pull the bullet out so I pulled it out with my fingers,pulled the bolt back again everything went like it was should have, I pulled the trigger to shoot one more round and it proceeded to SLAM FIRE the rest of the rounds until it was empty which is extreamly dangerous as you may know, The Gun has not been shot since. I did a little research after this happened and I believe it was Shotgun news that had a 2 page spread on a Class action lawsuit because people have died from the SKS going in to Slam fire mode.

I Loved shooting that gun and when this happened
    it was still pretty new with only about a hundered rounds shot through it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sorry this is so long, I figured it warrented a good explaination

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

yes it did, And my dad does not feel safe selling it and is to tight to take it to get it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. BLAZEN70

BLAZEN70 Registered Member

Was it Chinese made, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifor Russian made? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Was it Chinese made, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifor Russian made? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is a Chinese, But the class action suit mentioned both, If I remember correctly

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I just wonder how the hell this thread got to 2000+ views??? Must be a glitch /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Pretty funny though.

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just wonder how the hell this thread got to 2000+ views??? Must be a glitch /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Pretty funny though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i noticed, it must have had an error and slam viewed on itself 2000 times!

14. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong but couldn't injuries from the weapon randomly firing be completely prevented by not loading it until the gun is in a safe direction and until immediately before you're ready to actually fire it? Of course it's not a good thing if it does that, but then again I don't see where there's a huge hazard if one is practicing proper firearm safety in the first place...

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I could be wrong but couldn't injuries from the weapon randomly firing be completely prevented by not loading it until the gun is in a safe direction and until immediately before you're ready to actually fire it? Of course it's not a good thing if it does that, but then again I don't see where there's a huge hazard if one is practicing proper firearm safety in the first place...

[/ QUOTE ] Good point.

16. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

I love my sks never had a problem,never double fired ,or slam fired i say buy it and have fun but be safe its a very powerful gun .It shoots the same round as a ak47 . also i perfer the russian made over the chinese ,better qulity

17. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what the direction the gun is pointed has to do with the gun blowing up in your face,I don't care how safe of a shooter a person is if the gun slam fires like the "law suit" said it does/did. the shooter or a bystander could be hurt. Luckily my dads did not do what they say it COULD have done, But it still scared the crap out of me

once again if I remember correctly the "bad" instance was when it would try to put 2 shells in the barrel at once.
    THAT'S when people got hurt

I will do some more searching and see if I can find it so everyone will see what I am talking about

18. The_Sandman_454

How is it slam firing any different than the AK47 for example being fired intentionally on full auto mode, (in terms of controllability anyhow)? People are able to do that, we see that all the time. Is the issue just the fact that it's unexpected? I don't get how it slam firing will make it blow up in your face...

The way I see it the direction the gun is pointing is very important any time, since a firearm is a mechanical device, which can malfunction. One must always expect that it won't work right and be in a position where such a malfunction isn't going to harm anybody...

An incident where it tries to chamber 2 rounds sounds to be a totally different issue, one which seems totally unrelated to slam firing the way I understand it anyhow, since that happens to be the weapon unintentionally going fully automatic on you... That sounds like ejection/extraction issue to me or some such thing... While the bolt will be cycling pretty quick, it should still be moving back and forth fast and far enough to sufficiently eject/extract and chamber a round, and repeat it... I would expect if it's rapidly moving as it would be expected to be probability wise one would expect a round to not chamber and stop the cycle rather than double chambering, since in order to chamber one you need to have the bolt back and let it push the round in, then if it's slam firing at this time it fires, draws bolt back all the way and chambers one more round... There doesn't logically seem to be a way for it to even try to chamber more than 1 round at a time, unless somehow there's a *major* malfunction with magazine or perhaps the operator had one chambered, and then somehow tried to chamber another one...

I guess a better description of just how it happens would be nice... I'm not completely familiar with the SKS, but have what I consider to be a good basic understanding of how stuff happens and what order it needs to happen in, etc...

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Notwithstanding proper gun safety, a firearm is not something that you want to malfunction in that manner in any situation. Full auto is all well and good when you're expecting it, but what about when you hand the gun to your wife or kid and it goes into that "slam fire" mode? What if you kid isn't strong enough to hold onto it when it goes full auto, or gets scared and drops it?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Gun safety as it was taught to me essentially boils down to "If it's always loaded, then there is never a question of whether or not it's loaded." Makes sense to me, so if a gun is not locked in a safe or being transported to the range, it's always loaded. I was taught this at the age of about 6, and you can bet that I never even thought about handling any of the guns that were in the house since I knew that they were loaded at all times. A gun is pretty useless for home protection if you have to load it before you can use it.</font>

20. The_Sandman_454

I understand that of course a firearm is not something you want to malfunction... It's just that it seems most bad magic can be prevented by being prepared and taking a few precautions... One of the precautions is making sure others who shoot the gun understand everything about it. And judging whether they are able to handle possible failures...

About the weapons unloaded until ready to use, I didn't necessarily mean keep the magazine empty too... Just don't chamber one... For a home defense example, I think the 4 rounds in the magazine of my Remington 870 will be sufficient... If not there's always the .45 as backup... Both of which have loaded magazines, just empty chambers... IMO It doesn't take too terribly long to chamber a round into either of them... And in some cases (like hearin' that shotgun get racked) might be just enough to make the invader leave anyhow.

I must just be somewhat odd, in that I won't typically hand somebody a weapon that's already loaded, or at least one that's got one in the chamber. But never the less, I always treat 'em like they're loaded...

But wait you're in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, where one's never allowed to have weapons and ammo in the same place /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ... I was under the impression that it's the law out there to keep all your junk locked up seperately when not at the range? (Which is of course a stupid law if the rumors I did hear regarding that is true)...

I guess if this is going to get hijacked to a thread about home defense anyhow I'll pose the question: Is any rifle really a good choice for home defense due to over penetration, etc? I wouldn't even really care to have to rely on a pistol due to that possibility... And then we come back around and figure well if the rifle isn't to be used for home defense, why keep it loaded... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Aah nevermind, I'm just rambling... I should make more sense once coffee is introduced into my blood-stream...