Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To buy or not to buy....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roadhawg, Dec 10, 2003.

1. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Hello all,

I saw a truck at a local mechanics shop a few weeks back so i stopped in today to see if it was for sale, the truck is in pretty bad shape and it has no title i can pick it up cheap. It is a 1971 chevy 4x4 and im wondering what kind of axles it has? its either 3x4 or 1 ton as it has 8 lugs and the rear is a full floater but it looks simular to a ford 9 inch rear end, anyone know what it is and if it would be any good? also what kinda front axle might it have dana 44 or 60 and what would be a common gear ratio?
    TIA

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

The rear could be an Eaton HO52, HO72, or Dana 60. All strong axles, but the Eatons are hard to find parts for and generally not a popular swap into 2nd gen blazers. The D60 rear would be a good score though, although not quite as strong as a 14 bolt.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1-ton 4x4's started in 77 so it is a 3/4-ton. It will be a disc brake, open knuckle, external hub D44 up front. By your description of the rear axle it is a Eaton rear axle. I love that generation of trucks...so I'd say buy it if the price is right.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go for the Eaton only if the gears are what you want....I would imagine you could regear it, but it might cost quite a bit more than you bargained for....Weigh that versus the low cost of admission, and you still might be in the ballpark....

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

.... I just want to know the story behind your avitar!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I Actually have no story behind the Avatar, i surfed apon it one day on the net. After thinking and staring at it for awhile it dawned on me that there is nothing down the road that just past it at 167 mph so it must be rigged.....
    Not sure i would want to be doing 167 mph on that road anyways!
    Thanks for the info guys i will check into the truck, it has some sort of small block in it and tranny and transfer case also so hopefully i can salvage some stuff off of it to be worth it. The bed is gone but the cab is all there. Almost wish it had a title as i love the body style of the first gen.
    Again....thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Almost wish it had a title as i love the body style of the first gen

[/ QUOTE ]
    As a pickup it isnt a first gen. That title only applies to the blazers for 69-72 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif First gen for a pickup was what, 1920's or 30's?

8. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i shoulda known better than that! I Got my point across tho right? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

At those speeds, I would expect that vehicle would be WAY out of the photograph anyway.... (about 245 ft/sec @ 167mph)

So there's still a chance it's real.....I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

yes but on most of the portable radar stations i have seen you actually see your speed long before you reach the radar station, then again ive only been about 125 mph and that was nowhere even close to a police radar station so your probably correct. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif