Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to convert or not to convert

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I have a 1972 blazer waiting to be restored. Are the frst gen 4x2's thath hard to find and expensive? Do u think it would be worth converting? I have access to 95% of the parts needed to convert it. Any opinions welcome

Bigmeats

1975 Blazer

2. 72lowblazer

72lowblazer Registered Member

I have only seen about 1 2wd blazer for sale, and it was at Truck Nationals in Carlisle. It was a orig 2wd Texas blazer and was missing whole interior and engine and transmission. He was asking $2500. I am on the process of trying to get one for $500 and I can say that they are rare. I also have a 4wd that needs restored and was thinking about doing the same since they are so rare. The one that I am trying to get is in Nebraska and I am in Pennsylvania. Do what you want to do and dont worry about what others think.

72 k5 Blazer 307/3pd on tree, posi rear (one of my projects)
    72 c5 Blazer CST (under arangements for purchase)

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

2wd are few and far between. A 71 showed up here a couple weeks ago in a local sales paper but the wife said no. (still have the add) They were asking $1200 but listed as rough body.
    SO today I ran across a 70 Sub for $250 hahahahahahah. Fix it up for the wife and may yet get my 2wd Blazer to make a street rod out of.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

4. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

Convert it! I'm in the process of converting my Jimmy. It will increase the value (around here at least) and if your not going to use the 4wd it will be more practical. Plus, it's what you want. If you can't find one at a reasonable cost, build it!

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

IF YOU CONVERT THAT THING, I swear I'll..... oh you just wait and find out... better not spanky I'll come down there and steal it if you even think about it again... :)

BlazerBoy
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/generalblueballs/>http://www.geocities.com/generalblueballs/</a>

6. blazin79

blazin79 Registered Member

If you want two wheel drive then convert it. Don't do it because you think it'll be worth more. Build it the way you want it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

74 2wd Jimmy bagged on 18s

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First Gens are hard to find in decent shape anyway you cut it.
    Convert it or not, as long as you restore it, it's going to be worth a lot of money later on. They're getting harder and harder to find. I'm glad I found mine, drove to NJ from Texas for it, but I got it!

8. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

blazin79, nothing wrong with wanting to make it worth more. I agree that the most important reason is because you want to but all the reasons I listed could stand alone. Just my opinion.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window