Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To Crate or not to Crate?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by princelydeeds, Jun 17, 2002.

1. princelydeeds

princelydeeds Newbie

This may be a dumb question but please bare with me, Im new to the game. Im about to buy an 83 K5 thats been sitting in someones yard for the last 7 years.

It needs an engine and some other work. I don't plan on using this truck as a daily driver. This will strictly be my weekend warrior truck, My dog and my dad's fishing boat will probably accompany me more than anything. So towing capacity is important. I also want some off road capability.

I spoke with a couple people who have all told me the same thing about buying a crate engine for this truck. The guy at the dealer parts dept, a mechanic and a relative all told me I would be better off buying a quality 350 or even a 454 block from a junkyard and rebuild it. They suggested that I could get the same performance and reliability if I get a solid block plus I could bolt on what ever performance parts and upgrades I want and come out way cheaper. Tell me why or if I would be better off purchasing a crate engine? Any particular other issues I should look into? I plan to tear this truck down waterproof the interior and a bunch of other things. BTW, can I get waterproof/ water resistant seats? I will also do most of the work myself. thanks alot for the help.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

For the 83 I would do the crate for smog and warenty reasons. If you have to worry about smog test that is? If you don't then skys the limit... It all boils down to your budjet and how much time you have.
    As for the seats, duno really but you can put waterproof seat covers on. Like the Wet Okel brand and some other types that clame to be waterproof...
    Good luck