Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To cut or not to cut, that is the question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Oct 1, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I won't have to make this decision for some time yet but thought I would throw it out there, should I cut the top off the UAV or keep it on? Here are the pro's and con's so far:

Keep it:
    I'm allready there, thus no work.
    With the top, tailgate and doors unbolted, I still have built in bikini top and keep from frying in the sun and dry if it rains.
    Seals up great in the winter with everything bolted back on, no leaks, no wind.
    Less body flex while off-roading.

Cut it:
    Better visibility.
    If I put it up aginst a rock off-camber, the only thing to hit would be the windshiled frame.
    Big coolness factor.
    Eaiser to build roll cage.

Well, what would you do?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm going 'vertable mang [​IMG]

You can do a full roll cage and brace it right so you get less flex than with the cab on I bet. Or at least only as much as if the cab was on it. Specialty Top is making some tops for full 'vertables. I got a winsheild frame and doors off a tub. I plan on having this done by Jan.

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

cut it then give your old soft top to me really cheep! haha [​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Steve,

To each his own, but I think you have an awsome looking truck as is. The pros for keeping the top out weigh the cons. If you lived somewhere with a warmer winter climate, I would be more infavor of it. Just MHO.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on cuttin the top off. Much too cool not to!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you cut up that good looking, rust free, seals in the winter doesn't rattle truck... I may have to send you an eSlap!

If your going to do it, trade me for my rusty 78 body first.. then cut it up all you want!!!

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Thats a tough one. I'd have to say if it was mine, I'd leave it as is. If you really want a full convert, I'd find a '73-'75 and just swap bodies or swap all your equipment over.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

8. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Steve, DONT DO IT. Unless you have really damaged her from last pictures I saw, she is too pretty to do it. Honest, keep her as is.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Dont have the cage suport the floors when you cut the roof off. Build suports between the firewall and almost to the rear wells then to the rocker panels, like the rocker boxes on 69-91 trucks. Look at one some time and you'll see what I mean. The cage could suport it, but if you suport it under the floor it will twist less and your doors might actually open unlike mine.

10. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Leave it alone.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! [​IMG]

If you REALLY want more visibility, install a sun roof. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

12. 74Roadster

74Roadster Registered Member

Cut it! All the cool kids are doin it...[​IMG]

74 roadster in progress [​IMG]

13. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Snip, snip, snip ... and do a write-up too [​IMG]

E PLURIBUS UNUM

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

When it is your second vehicle, and not a daily driver, cut it.

Heck, you know ya love the sawzall.............if you can get the structural strength with a good cage (and we know you'll get there) then do it.

Personally the decision point is if and when you go down that abyss toward's '4X only beast'..........and tho you have a nice rig with all the power options, methinks you are the type that will go for it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think if I was going to do it I'd make it so I could put the part I cut off back on when I wanted maybe even fab it so it would be attached to the half shell at all times like a fulltopper. If the option was to just throw away the part you cut off then I wouldn't. They do it with pickups all the time there might even be a kit of sorts....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

NNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE UAV IS TOO PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!! please i beg of you don't do it!!! if you wanna cut something to shreds chop up a f*rd. or get an old pre-beat up blazer, something that don't matter if it's ugly!!

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

17. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, full covertible...have to chop the top. Seal all the holes up, get a new a soft top. Have to cut the doors.

Hmm, as is, sealed well, no labor, and FREE!!

It really turns my stomach to see good metal butchered and that thing is a honey.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

18. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would leave the SUV alone and build another truck without any body. frame drive trian and a cooler to sit on. caint beat that

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

19. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would agree with some of the others. As long as it is your daily driver, I would leave it. Once it becomes your toy only (as I am sure it will someday), then feel free. But as long as it is the one you and the family rely on, don't go that route. MHO

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What if Steve does it like I said and he could put it back together when not wheelin.How many of you would change your minds about not cutting it if he did that...It could be done nicely and I'm some what sure our fearless leader could, if he wanted, make it custom.....Not Calcustom but Colocustom.....(Suliminal)Steve, cut the beast but make it worthy....[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!