Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To de-clip or not to de-clip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustBuket, Aug 14, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm about to tear the 305 out of my K5 and was wondering if it would be easier to take the front clip off the truck or if it would be easier to just leave it on and try to squish inside the engine compartment? Also, if it is easier, where are all the bolts that connect the front clip to the frame/cab/firewall? I know that there is two main ones that are like a cab mount bolt and there is 2 that connect it to the firewall at the back of the hood. Is there anymore?

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

If all you are doing is replacing the engine........it is far easier (and less work) to just mark the hood hinges, remove the hood and leave the front clip on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well if its so much easier then do you have any tips on take the bolts on that hook the tranny to the engine? I can never seem to get in there!

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The easiest is to get a 3/8" drive with a u-joint (run a few wraps of electrical tape around the joint, so it is not flopping around) on the end and as many 3/8" extensions as you have (about 2 1/2-3 ft). Then lay on your creeper (you have one right.....or is it just us "old guys" that are tired of laying on the dang ground /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) near the end of the T-case and ratchet away.....

The top two bellhousing bolts are easiest to get with a wrench if you remove the distributor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Steve, I just removed the old 350 & TH350 tranny out of a 1980 Blazer and found that it was better for me to take the front clip off. There is 12 bolts holding it on. One at the top inside the engine area, one very close on the inside of the door, one at the bottom of the door, two inside the fender well by the front floor and the body mounts under the radiator core. Same on the other side. Of couse you have to disconnect everything connected to it also. Two guys can lift it off. It will help to have the tires removed or the fender wells will give a little problem. Then its a straight up and forward lift by just unbolting the t-case and engine mounts.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm going to try and do it without but if I can't get it out I guess it'll be a last resort.