Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To Detroit or spool . . . . . .

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spaceboy, Mar 14, 2002.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to replace the limited slip in my front Dana 60 with a full locker. It has served me on trails but I just don't like the word limited in there. I already know the pro's and con's of a front locker (under steer, greater turning force required) I am just trying to consider my options here. Will a full locker even affect street drivability if the hubs aren't locked in?? Arbs are nice, but they are expensive and I have heard that the fittings do leak air sometimes rendering them useless. Any input from someone with a front locker will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got a Detroit in my D60. Yes, it does increase turning diameter but in my experience it has not been a big problem. Maybe on a tight trail it would be (almost for sure it could) but that's when I'd drop it out of 4LO to 2HI, make the turn and drop it down again. Worth it for the positive traction. JMHO

3. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Another thing you might consider is the new magnetic lockers from eaton. I haven't seen a whole lot of information on them but i plan on using them for my front dana 60 when i get to that point.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you go w/ a locker it won't lock up if you don't put power to it. You could twin stick your case (if it is a 205) and drive in 2wd till you need the traction. You would be able to steer just like you had a open diff.

If you go w/ a spool you will have to unlock a hub to turn. Not fun unless you have a passenger that don't mind doing it all the time.