Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To dovetail or not to dovetail, that is the question

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by willyswanter, Nov 15, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I basically finished my plans for my new 20 foot gooseneck trailer, well, up to the very back anyway. I can't decide if I want a dovetail or no. The two trucks that would go on it wouldn't have a problem without the dovetail. Only thing I worry about is if I do run one how low they sit. I don't want to tear up driveways at gas stations or when I have to take it off road to get to the trail head I don't want it dragging over everything.

Anyone have one with a dovetail? Do you hit it alot or no?

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I say dovetail it. My trailer was originally planned to have a flat deck, but at the last minute we changed it to a dovetail. I wouldn't have any problems either loading the blazer with a non-dovetaied trailer, but I didn't want to limit it's use to just hauling my junk. I have since used the trailer to haul several cars that I wouldn't have been able to haul without the dovetail. The only other option would have been to make really long ramps with the flat deck trailer and that seemed like more trouble than it was worth. With the heavy suspension you will use on the gooseneck, it should be plenty high to dovetail it a little without dragging unless you plan on using drop spindle axles.

For reference, the deck height on my trailer is 24", and the dovetail is a 2 1/2" drop. I don't have a good side pic of my trailer, but you can see from this one that the back is not too low...

[​IMG]

BIGJ

3. willyswanter

The deck height on mine will be around 35" so I guess I'll be dovetailing!

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You've seen my little tag along. It drags fairly frequenly with the buggy on it and no bid deal as far as I'm concerned. yeah, go ahead and dove tail it... Makes a difference if you have to load a regular car, and makes loading the truck easy without the ramps.

5. willyswanter

Well, this is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to draw the ramps and the jack crank handles and a few other small things but you get the idea.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

OMG, that is SWEET! Wish I had one like that... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Now that's a trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No need to worry about dragging that thing on the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BIGJ

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with BIGJ. My trailer is a lot like his. I Haul my Chevelle, and everyone elses junk. It helps a lot.

9. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Haven't you seen mine? I've only hit a couple of times with my rig on the trailer going over a pretty severe angled driveway.

David
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

since you're going deck over, why not incorporate fold up ramps? Hauling anything but cars on the dovetail portion of a carhauler is a PITA. Just a thought.

[​IMG]

11. willyswanter

I'm going to, just hadn't gotten a chance to draw them up yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would definitely dovetail. I have spec'd out my new trailer and wouldn't do anything but. I have a friend that has a non-dove flatbed. It also sits about 35-36" deck height. The little ramps that connect to the back of the trailer to drive up are a little scary in a rig as big as mine. In addition, they are shorter relative to the entire length of the flip down ramps and dove. Therefore, the angle is steeper.

My plan is to go with a little bit longer overall trailer and dove it. Mine is spec'd at 23+5.

13. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I say dovetail it. You might not need it now, but in the future, you may need to haul something that will drag if its not dovetail. I have a 24' car hauler with a dove tail. I love it. I use it to tow Blazers, atv's and my race car that wouldn't be able to make it up without a dovetail.