Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To everyone who cut out their fenders...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1976Blazer76, Aug 5, 2006.

1. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

What did you do after you cut them? Did you just paint over the cut so it wouldn't rust. Also, is there anyway to get a "lip" back in the metal? Or do you just leave it as a straight cut? Or I was thinking is there a moulding or something you put over the cut?

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You can put door edge trim on the cut metal. It comes in chrome or black, has its own adhesive, and can be found at just about any parts store.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I only cut the lower front to date. Just used touch up paint to seal the bare metal. I think Pauly383 said he left the wheel well metal an inch longer than the fender so he could bend it up to make a new lip.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It's up to you on how "good" you want it to look. I just painted it.

5. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I hacked the hell out of mine. Then I took vise grips, pinched the inner and outer metal together, welded it, ground it down, bondoed and painted. Time consuming, but looks good and gives the fender some strength. Without that lip, they are wicked flimsy...

6. 1976Blazer76

Any pics?

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I got some 1 in X .062 sheet matal and made a weld in piece to get the lip back. I pinched the inner/outer together and welded it too but only where it was real close to touching allready. then I made my weld in pieces. gained back alot of strength.

8. 1976Blazer76

Anyway I could get some pics of yours too?

9. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I just taped the quarter pannel and put on flat black. I have a can of clear coat I sometimes use as a general touch up for small unnoticeable things and new trail scars.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just cut mine and left it. I have plans to go tube and sheetmetal just gets in the way:D . Plus I live in SOCAL so things dont rust all that much:D

Ira

11. rdn2blazer

I will try to get some asap.

12. rdn2blazer

13. 1976Blazer76

Good lookin pics and project. I'm thinking I may not cut the top of the wheel wells because well thats not where my clearence is needed, plus it would save a ton of work by having to fill the gap between the two pieces of fender. I put some tape on my fenders to kind of outline where it would work for me to put the cuts, I think i got the cuts to flow pretty well. What do you think? Think it would look good?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If your not worried about bumper situations too much, I would do something like this in the front.

Attached Files:

• trim.bmp
      File size:
      231.7 KB
      Views:
  15. 1976Blazer76

Well I am going to be making my own bumper, so I can do whatever I want to there. Thanks for the pic, I like it. So do you think just welding in a piece of metal there would work? I haven't had this thing together for several months now, so off the top of my head, I can't think wether or not that cut you showed in the picture will interfere with my inner fender...will it?

Attached Files:

16. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I really cant say how far apart the two peices of metal are, but welding stuff in doesnt hurt, but you may not need to. Make the cut just below where the fender attaches to the core support. That's what I would do.

17. 1976Blazer76

Welding something in isn't a problem at all....I'll just have to throw the inner fender in tomorrow when and go from there. But I do like that front edge cut off because it will match the rear. I have to cut off that bottom half in the rear because of that stupid bondo, so I may as well make them sort of match. Thanks for the input.

18. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

The thing with welding in extra metal and closing stuff up is that if it traps water it will rust fast as hell.
    Also any cut you make will interfere (sp?) with the inner fender. Any cut over very very mild anyway. I'll try to post up some pics of mine this week. It ain't the prettiest, but well, neither am I...

19. 1976Blazer76

Yeah, I'm totally staying away from the inner fender being hacked, because that is going much farther than I plan on going. Plus not cutting the inner fender will end up giving me as much clearence as I'm ever gonna need. Pics would be sweet, thanks.

20. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

It looked to me that the lines you had taped will inter. with the inner. Maybe not the back, but def. the front. It's really not that big a deal. Just heat the inner up till it red, let it cool down (to remove the tinsel) beat that thing like it owes you money, and tack t in place. Done.