Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To flare or not to flare

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by puck k5, Apr 24, 2004.

1. puck k5

puck k5 Registered Member

Ok, here is the question. I was thinking of putting on a set of cut out fender flares on the K5.I keep hearing that they will make my quarter panels warp and that they generally make my truck a mess.I really dont need the cut outs I only stick out up front about 1 1/2 inches.An the trimming i did to clear the 35`s was very minimal. I just to want to put the cut outs on just to be safe.But dont want to butcher the truck if i dont have to her wheel wells are in decent shape. Any ideas guys /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If you're planning on wheeling that truck, then Don't. They only get in the way and will eventually get crushed on the trails anyways. Seen it happen. I'm sure you know, trails out this way are tight for a fullsize.
    Save your dough for some other goodies /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Boss

3. puck k5

thanx Boss /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i apreciate the adviceI`ll probably put some flares that bolt on the lip just to pass inspection. Then take them off again. Like i said i only stick out on the front about 1 inch . the back is all tucked in.

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Talk to Wayne about what he did to pass inspection.

He used like a vinyl or rubber floor moulding (that you see in used in the bathroom of office buildings or whatever). Cheap stuff. Cut to length and drill in holes to screw into the bottom of your fender lip.

After inspection, take it off.

I did this on my brothers jeep to pass inpection here a couple years ago (after reading what Wayne did) and it worked like a charm.
    Looks semi-decent. We only have inspections once, period, so he ditched them after that.
    Cheap, simple and gets the job done.
    Boss

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much to them. Actually it is convayor belting. I don't run them on the Blazer though. Those were on my Jimmy which had 14.5" wide tires.

6. puck k5

nice pics Wayne .Once i get a scanner or digital cam i hope to get some pics on to.That jimmy have swaybar disconnects?I read about them on the site here I think i am going to get a set.They are cheap and useful,can`t get any better than that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifLooks like you got alot of articulation on that RTI ramp.Just so you know guys i appreciate your help and input. thanx

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    nice pics Wayne .Once i get a scanner or digital cam i hope to get some pics on to.That jimmy have swaybar disconnects?I read about them on the site here I think i am going to get a set.They are cheap and useful,can`t get any better than that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifLooks like you got alot of articulation on that RTI ramp.Just so you know guys i appreciate your help and input. thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be pulling the discos off the Blazer soon. I'll make you a good deal on them. I'm putting crossover and hydro assist on so I will not be able to run a sway bar. Also did you hear me honking the horn as I passed your place at about 10 am this morning. Saw your K5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I was on my way to the district justice office. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. puck k5

Yah I heard you. I didnt see you though. iwas just getting up. Iam bit of a nightowl.Comes from working all night like you know.My wife was getting me up two watch my 3yr old when you went by. Did you like my grey hulk of a K5?I probably will take you up on that offer of the disconnects. Let me know when you get them off I am in no hurry.I`ll get together with you when you get them off

9. puck k5

I forgot were those pics from up at Carlile.Just curious

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I forgot were those pics from up at Carlile.Just curious

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, back at the 2002 show.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Dumb me, the Jimmy in the pics did not have a swaybar on it. It had crossover steering. If you look at the pic you can see the draglink it is the upper blue bar going accross underneith.

12. puck k5

yah i noticed that the second time i looked at it Yesterday.Do you still got that truck it looks good?I was like /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif should have seen the bar over the axle Ohwell.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yah i noticed that the second time i looked at it Yesterday.Do you still got that truck it looks good?I was like /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif should have seen the bar over the axle Ohwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I parted most of that K5 out. It would not pass inspection with all the rust in the floors that it had. It looked good from the outside but the floors and rockers were almost gone. When I tore it apart I debated fixing it but decided not to especially when I dropped it down and one of the body mounts was still on the jack when I pulled it out from underneith and not connected to the truck anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. puck k5

Thats a shame. Mine has rust behind both doors. The floors look good though except in the one corner.I plan on geting it all fixed soon. Dont want it to get any worse.The rust is in that lower corner of the door sill.If the body goes to bad i`ll try to put a old truck body on .A guy at work has a 48 body on a blazer frame.