Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To flip or not to flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Jan 23, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of the rear shackle flip for rear lift?

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest

2. Kman

Kman Registered Member

Good ? i would like to know the same.
    I am looking at putting on a 4" lift but the shopes want 4 too 5 hundred more for rear spings.

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Advantages are that you can retain the stock springs without using unsafe or weak blocks. Stock springs generally are softer and articulate better than lift springs. It alos moves your pinion angle up so you dont have to worry quite as much about vibrations w/ the drive shaft. There arent many disadvantages other than a limited size selection to choose from. That, and i have heard that they can cause some problems on the highway with it tilting the axle so far up, but that is certainly a minimal effect if any.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Think of the arch in your springs for a second. Your factory fronts are reverse arched (bow up). When you go with a lifted front spring, they bow down. But, to make up the difference for the lift, they don't usually have to bwo down too much. Keep this parked in the back of your mind for a sec. Your original rear springs already bow down. To lift the vehicle, they have to bow even more. This means adding stiffer leafs to get them to bow correctly or adding more leafs (or both). Now, remembering that the front will bow less for the same lift than the rear, you can see how the rear will typically be stiffer if going with a true full spring lift.

Now, if you use a shackle flip, you can retain the same rear springs for up to 4" of lift or use some less arched springs for an even higher lift. For example, say you wanna go 6" lift. You can get a nice, flexy front 6" spring, a 4" shackle flip, and only a 2" rear spring. This 2" rear spring would be much softer and probably much more flexy than a 6" spring.

Disadvantage: That all only works if your stock springs (supposing you just reuse them) don't already sag. In addition, most lift springs have shims/wedges that account (for the most part) for the new pinion angles based on the spring's lift. Shackle flips don't really do this. While the angle will be changed some simply due to the re-positioning of the rear eye (changing the overall leaf angle), it may or may not fully account for the proper pinion angle(s). You may have to do some work to get the angles right which will eliminate driveline vibes.

If your rear springs are fine and you just want 2.5 or 4" lift, go with a shackle flip. If your rear springs are suffering, go with a spring lift. If you are going bigger than 4", go with a shackle flip, bigger front springs, and smaller rear springs. That is all just my opinion.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks very much, that helps a lot! My main goal is to go with the smallest and best lift, ie instead of going 6" or more I would rather do 4" and cut the fenders or use a body lift to get any more I may need. The shackle flip sounds like a good way to go for the rear, I have never been a fan of lift blocks and like you said arched springs alone can harsh out the ride. BTW I really like your ride, that is basically what I am shooting for!

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by scotty1 on 01/23/02 06:47 PM.</FONT></P>