Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To go BB or not to go BB that is the question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AnthonyG, Mar 30, 2003.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

here is the deal the bottom end of my motor is crap It was a Napa crate motor that the previous owner put in I have already put a brand new heads intake and headers on it now the bottom end needs rebuilt. the question is should i dich the sb witch i already have $700 into and go BB witch will cost me about $1300 or should i put another $800 into the sb and build a 383 out of it

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

BB all the way!!!! i got mine in and love it. i hafta drive conservatively though when im low on gas money. im running a 600cfm edelbrock. it does pretty good. i havent had the secondaries open yet.... only the primaries and that was more than enuff excitement for me for one nite. plus runnin open headers i can hardly stand drivin n e farther than across town.

NITRO

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Big Block! The torque difference is amazing.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just remember that all the accessories (water pump, ALT, PS) parts and brakets will not work on the new BBC. You will need all new brackets and parts to make the BB work. Just a thought.

I love my BB but still like the smallblock for ease of "interchangeability'

My .02,
    John [​IMG]

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just remember that all the accessories (water pump, ALT, PS) parts and brakets will not work on the new BBC

[/ QUOTE ]
    that part doesn't metter because my PS pump leaks my alt is out and the bb has a water pump on it
    MAn i have a lot of work ahead of me if i ever want to drive my truck again

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I test drove 1 383 truck and 1 454 before I ended up buying my new 72. The 383 had 38s, and the 454 had 42s, but the 454 was still way more powerful in every aspect, faster, etc. I'm not sure how much of that was due to the parts on both of them but I ended up with the 454 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Big Block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I vote big block too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im ditching my 350 and going 454, i bought a piece of crap suburban with it so i got all the good stuff so i could piece it back together.....that might be the best bet, get a junker w/ a 454 that you can pull all the brackets and stuff out of. Might even get lucky and get a 14ff in that same vehicle like i did.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is no question about it, go Big Block and sell the small block parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My first K5 had a 454, and my current K5 will get one sometime in the future !!!!!!!

11. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I heard of 2 2wd 1 tons with 454's in em 1 was a mid 70's crewcab the motor has about 30,000 on a rebuild for under a grand and the other was an 89 tbi 454 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so i think i will go that rout thanks ya'll and if anyone needs a bunch of new sb stuff check out my post in parts for sale

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Here we go../

Sit back...good

Now imagin a big block full throttle goming from behind in a lifted blazer while you sit in a geo prism!

I love the sound of my 396! I wouldn't have it any other way and if ya want better get better gas milage throw tbi ond romp that biotch! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would go with the small block, (Hey you guys are gona make it harder to hord the big block parts. You mind keeping it down.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif