Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TO HACK OR NOT TO HACK...THAT IS THE QUESTION???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jun 19, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I keep looking at my truck, realizing more and more that it is not street legal in the state of New Jersey. Also, I know that this truck will never be a daily driver again and the body will be destroyed by mother nature in a few weeks when it is back together and on the trail. So...my question is...should I start removing sheet metal that will eventually be destroyed by the trail now or wait until the destruction happens?

From this...
    [​IMG]
    to this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd wait and see what ends up being most prone to getting smashed and base your future hacking on that...

I've resigned myself to the limitations of the K5 body, I like the size and style too much to alter it beyond the point of easy recognition as a K5. Mine may never be a true daily again (It's currently mid-build again...)

Rene

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Nice looking truck! I would say it all depends on what kind of trail riding you plan on doing. If you know you are gonna beat up the body really bad in certain areas, I would remove the metal. Maybe some rock sliders and bumpers that provide more protection would be in order as well. If you do decide to get happy with the sawzall, post some pics!

Kris

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I say leave the sheetmetal for now and have some cool pictures and stories later! Besides if you leave it you can start wheeling sooner, if you start cutting that's another project with more potential for down time.

Do you have more pictures with the 42's? What is your lift combo? I really like the way it looks in the snow pic and may cut mine similarly. Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing before too. I went ahead and hacked, and to be honest, i regret it. It would have been a heck of alot cooler for a complete truck to go through some trails than the contraption i created. I actually got soome new fenders and am going to try to put them on and narrow the front (like BadDog, Juanblazer) so it looks more like a truck.

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Pete I have been imprested by the build up of your ride and I think at the extreme you can taper the nose and tail by pulling the sheet metal in so the side still looks like a k5 well I will keep my eyes open and look for the future evolution of your truck (Cough coilover Cough) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You're at a really tough point, built for trails that you can't do because of the body. I've been there and ended up with what's basically an ineffecient buggy. I'm not sure what advice to give, but I wish I had my K5 back with a 60/14B combo and some 37's. Then I could still drive it to the trails, take it camping, etc. You're obviously not interested in going backwards, so that's out, but keep it in mind.

If you're not going to drive it on the road (or can't legally), then you should build yourself a truggy. There's no reason to schlep around that extra steel when you can cut it down, keep some K5 style points and have a much more effective trail vehicle. I see no glory in intentionally thrashing a good body when you know before hand it's going to happen.

My advice at that point: make sure you can seal it up good, keep a windshield of some sort, etc. The creature comforts are the hardest thing to put back.

Does this bring us to the point of replacing the body with S10?

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its a tough call the body is still in good shape, but its cut to the point that it would prob be hard to sell to a "normal" person. Your best bet would be here, but this place is full of tight-wads. If you want to wheel in bad weather then I would keep the body, or at least most of it. It always comes back to "build it for what you want to do" We have a good warm climate here but its wet. What I did was loose the doors for some fabric ones and remove a little more of the quater pnl, espically in front of the rear tire and got rid of the rocker pnl all together. Nothing on my rear 1/4s is lower than the cab floor. I also knocked in that last bit of the front fender. W/ the doors off this really helps in effectively narrowing & raising the body. If you are going to sell it do it now, before it gets bashed. My '73 was rough to start w/ so it was easier to decide. If mine gets too bad I'll prob go w/ a 4Runner body.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

leave it

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking the same thing before too. I went ahead and hacked, and to be honest, i regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah!... You're getting old! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Marv

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

looks good like it is.it seems to have enough room for the tires to move good.i wouldnt chop anymore than what has been done.

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks like the sheet metal is going to stay.

I think once I install the cutting brakes and twin stick the 205, I will be able get around the Heep cut trails at the parks over here in the north east a little better.

I wish someone made a rear steer axle that would hold up on these trucks.

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I will definitely be converting it to a full convert when I do the cage.

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would say leave it for now, you have cut away all the necessary sheet metal, wait and see what happens at this point /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14boltff/60 Hybrid ??????????

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Try a 14 bolt/rockwell hybrid.....
    It's only money.

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Man I just gotta say that I absolutley love the look of your truck! And a quick q. Did you cut your marker light? its hard to tell from the pic.

18. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 14 bolt with rockwell knuckles? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man I just gotta say that I absolutley love the look of your truck! And a quick q. Did you cut your marker light? its hard to tell from the pic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, cut the marker lights, they were in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

how much lift and wheel size are you runnign ?