Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to hack or not to hack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Feb 21, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

as you may or may not remember me, i have a pristine condistion 86 blazer which i plan to show this coming spring/summer.

What im wondering...is im working on the inside, going to put in dvd player/monitor, new stereo, and i saw today i can get a sunroof, parts and installed for 179$.

Cost isnt a problem...im wondering if it will look good or not? Considering its a show truck and all.
    [​IMG]

also, any advice or comments on a neon white underbody kit, white lightbulbs...any other ideas?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it'll look good if it is done right.
    clear taillights are legal, they must have some sort of red in them. there are 3 different styles out there. You can find all of them on ebay for way less then mail order.
    You can however get the clear front turn signals..those look good, just need an amber #194 bulb.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Nice Blazer, I wouldn't recommend the sunroof. Our trucks have a lot of frame and body flex and if you were ever to get it flexed out for some reason you may break the sunroof window.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

the only flex this will see is if it runs a little close to a curb....

im waiting til spring to get a trail truck...this one is streets only

im getting tail light blackouts tomorrow...goig to put the chrome trim on the outside of them.... made a moch up in mspaint and it looks really good

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i think it would be really nice to have a sun roof on hot, sunny days. i dont know about the body flex issue, but it would score pretty high on the cool factor.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

any other suggestions to achieve more "cool" points?

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

switch the location of your tailpipes- turn them out on the sides behind the tires- and take those chrome tips off....(just my .02)

Brandy

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You have a sunroof already.....a big one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its called a removeable top /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Don't do the sunroof. It will not look good. The sealer they put around them gets runny when it gets hot. And I promise you it will leak. I have had 2 installed by "very good" shops, they looked good till it got hot. They didn't leak for about 6 months then it started stinking a little and before I knew it, wet seats. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

rear exit exhaust and a blazer just aren't meant to go together. I know on mine put the window down and oh man does that stink and burn your eyes. I wish I had a full removable top, I like the looks of the newer styles better but I just with I had a fully removable top. Are you going ot lift it? cause if you don't I'm sorry but its not that impressive a show piece. Sure it looks good its in good condition but thats all. lose the hitch might be a suggestion.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll second the sunroof opinion. They don't really look good on a vehicle with removeable top IMO, and they will leak. It may be a matter of time, but they will.

Last car I had with a sunroof put in (PO) started leaking, and apparently, with the sunroof companies, they go out of business quite often, so to fix mine, it would have meant cutting the hole in the roof even larger to get a "new" style sunroof to fit.

Besides, GM vehicles are prone enough to rust without putting a huge hole in the two roof panels.