Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To keep or not to keep?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Jun 19, 2001.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have an '84 K5 with a 400ci, 700r4, and 10 olts fronts and rear running 33's for now, no lift yet. Anyway while I was burning the tires at a stop light I felt a big clunk, thouhgt it was probably my pinion but I later found out I blew both of my spiders into about 500,000 peices, should I replace the spiders or the whole diff. with a 12 bolt? Is the 12 bolt that much stronger? What brand of spiders should I use?

Thanks,
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

If its a Ford, I understand...

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a 12 bolt is stronger than a 10 bolt but not by much if you want strength go for a 14bolt

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Go with a 14 bolt. They are everywhere and cheap!

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A 12 bolt really isn't worth your time if you're replacing the whole unit. A 14FF is about the last word in strength and durability, but also brings with it 8 lug wheels. Your 10-bolt can be built to be just as strong as a 12 bolt, so really it's a matter of your own wish list.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

14 bolt semi float can be had for about $300 used. They came in light duty 3/4 ton trucks. Not as stout as the revered 14FF, but a whole sight stronger than your current 10 bolt. And most of these came with 6 lugs.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I Have 2 k5's one with a govloc both with over 300k on the clocks both with 12 bolts. 12 bolt is far better than a 10 bolt. You can't convince me otherwise, problem is mid 80's trucks came with funny gears like 3.42 etc. 12's are mostly 3.08 and 3.73 and some in the 2's but those are rare. The 6 cyl trucks had either 3.73 or 4.11 The 4.11 is a rare find.
    Idealy a 14FF would be the best way to keep from breaking another axle but if you got that weird 3.42 gear you going to have to regear at least one axle. Prefurable the front to either 3.73 or 4.11. The semi floating 14 might have the 3.42 but it will probably be a 3.73 or a 4.11.
    If your sticking with the 33's I would say you would want atleast 4.11 if not 4.56 since you got OD. If you plan on going bigger than 33's then get the 4.56 for sure.
    The down side to the 14 is size. To have as much clearence under the diff as you have right now you would need to go to 36's.
    Another thing to figure in is the 14's are going to have a longer pinion and driveshaft lenght may need to be addresed. If you do go with a 14 try to get the drive shaft from the doaner truck if it is equipped with the 208 like your truck has. It's not very expensive to have a shaft shortend and the driveshaft will have the larger U-Joints and yokes already on it.
    If you do go with the 14FF your going to have a missmatch on the lug patern. Waxer has a good write up in the tech section on how to do the conversion to 8 lug. You might also get lucky and find a Junkyard with a matching front axle that you can pick up and save the regear. They may give you some credit for your old front axle and even rims so tell them what you got and what you want and they maybe able to work something out and get the cost of the swap down.
    Now let me also point something out. If you didn't munch the ring and pinion with the spider gears blew you could locate just those parts and get you down the road for a while.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

14 bolt...
    or a stock diff with welded sptders if ya wanna go cheap....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.