Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To lock or not to lock... that is the question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

So, should I lock the front or the rear? my first instinct is rear... but this is my daily driver, driven freeway daily, in Oregon (read: in rain).

Also, which locker should I consider? I am running a D44/12bolt (yes, 1/2 ton) and as soon as I scrape the $$ together I will hopefully be running 4.11's (if your still willing POWERMAD - There is a Prime Rib in it for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).

Should I go Limited slip? Spool? EZ Locker? Soft Locker? Trac-Lok? (I dont want to go with an ARB air locker...)

Opinions?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I say lock the front first. the front is always pulling you so one extra tire pulling is better. I would also just through a lockright or a trac lock in it and call it good. if you plan on staying half ton go with a Detroit locker.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

lock the rear first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i run a detroit and i live here as well and anyone who knows me I'm not easy on the skinny petal and it has been fine for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif a limited slip will be easy-er on a 12bolt though but give you better traction than a open rear

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My Daily driver currently has a Detroit in the rear. It is not as bad as the Jeep guys make it up to be. When I first got the locker it felt like crap, the truck handled wierd and drove completely different. Well I got used to it in about 3 days, now Im used to the Detroit and will never go back. It has also made my truck a lot more predictable in some situations like snow and such. With the open rear diff the truck was very unpredictable, with the detroit the truck became a lot more predictable and I was able to drive with more of a piece of mind knowing that the truck wont get stuck on a slight grade because the open diffs were unloading all my power.

Another Diff you might want to look at is the Eaton E-Locker. Acts like a normal open diff until you lock and best of all its about the same price as the detroit. But they dont make it for the 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

So, Limited slip in the rear and locker in the front or lockers in both? (I will have to look into the electric locker) What about a spool/mini spool? I dont knowingly know anyone that has one... has anyone had any experience with them?

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. mudhog

if you can lock both front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but if you can only do one do the rear first /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif spools will lock it so both tires always turn but a detroit will if you are off the gas allow the outside tire to unlock and spin separately from the inside tire

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

A spool acts just like diffs do when they are welded. Both tires pull the same all of the time regardless of what happens. I wouldnt' suggest either for your daily driver. Be careful about which carrier you buy for your 12 bolt if you are planning on changing gear ratios in the future because of the carrier breaks on the 12 bolts. It would suck to buy a new carrier for the rear only to have to get another one a few months down the road.

8. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when ya break the 12 blot upgrade to the 14 or just save yourself the time, money and pain and upgrade to start with /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just put a detroit in my daily driven suburban and it's not bad at all. i think jeeps and k5s have a bad time with em cuz they're lighter and not as long.

10. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    i just put a detroit in my daily driven suburban and it's not bad at all. i think jeeps and k5s have a bad time with em cuz they're lighter and not as long.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i dont have a hard time with mine and mine is a blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status