Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

to members that live in Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheBlazerKid, Mar 13, 2003.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Hey guys here is my sitiation. I am moving from rural washington to phoenix in august ( going to UTI) and I need to knwo what are good parts of teh city to get an apartment in, I hav eheard anything north of glendale avenue is good. there will be 3 people splitting rent so if its up around 1,000 thats ok. if anyone has ever lived in apartments in phoenix and has recommendations that would be cool. thanx in advance.

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

phoenix area... I dunno a lot about the northern ends of it, but I'll tell you what I do know...

well, South Phoenix is a very bad idea. scottsdale has Uuber high property values, so that'd be really costly... plus minor conveniences like Stores and gas stations are all clumped in about 3 centralized areas ( from my experience when I break down up there at least) Tempe is nice, except for next to the Universety... crime rates are higher up there, and streets are narrower etc. ( I live in south tempe, away from the campus) Mesa has good and bad parts, and lots of mormons, ( not a bad thing) Gilbert pisses me off to no end, and Chandler has stoplights about every 250 feet, with plans for more. Ahuatukee, is really nice, but once again, really expensive.

good luck finding a place, and at worst AIM me for more info... ( Ddragggon) especialy since non member accounts are getting shut off tonite. :-)

-Rich

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

to tell you the truth, it is hit and miss all over the city. The above Glendale thing is mine (I think). You have a better chance of finding something a little nicer the more North you go. The part of town UTI is in is an industrial district, surrounded by low income apts around the freeway. The apts along 27th ave close to school are generally filled with drugs, prostitution, crime, etc. The more north you go the less you get because area gets better and housing costs more. You will still have crime to a point more north, but not like close to campus.

You can try toward central Phx. I would stay above Camelback rd. if you start to go central. The only real problem with central Phx (by central I mean 19th ave to 16th St.) is the area between 7th ave & 7th St on and around Camelback rd. has the highest homosexual population in the city. I personally don't care, but it might bother some.

Personally I would look toward the Glendale area. There are some nice apts or possibly even houses for rent there, and the city is a little better.

Also, I have heard bad things about the UTI people that deal with housing for students. I hear they get you bad deals. I would look on your own if at all possible to find a place.

Also, a heads up for a job. Courtesy Chevrolet seemed to hire alot of UTI people part time when I was working there a few years back. You might look into them for a job. I worked the parts department. It wasn't a bad deal either. Decent hours, they worked with you, and you get parts at cost plus 10%.

And another head up for you. If you need performance parts, don't deal with Lopers unless you absolutely have too. The Checker Auto Parts on 7th St. & Bethany Home road has a decent performance section, and they will order anything you want and match Jegs & Summits prices. If you want the low down on the 4x4 shops around or have any other questions I might be able to answer, let me know.

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ya, I forgot about the member only thing coming up. You can PM me or Email me if you like to get answers. The only problem I see with Ddragoon's areas is that they are far away, especially during rush hours.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya, I forgot about the member only thing coming up. You can PM me or Email me if you like to get answers. The only problem I see with Ddragoon's areas is that they are far away, especially during rush hours.

[/ QUOTE ]never really knew where UTI was... always confuse it with AAI, which is different. I'm assuming its either norht phoneix, or glendale tho. I dunno much about the area up there, except its west valley, and therefore must be undeveloped, and barbaric. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Rich

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

uti is a nice school, I have heard good thing, glendale has some nice areas, A thousand bucks can get you alot out there too for a place. They have alot of older homes and I am sure you could find a 3 bedroom for that amount. I used to live on that side of town so any questions, just post. Also places like sames club or Costco are great to work at too, flexable and great pay starting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I dont recomend living in the city of glendale because the laws there suck and the police hate everybody there.I live north of glendale ave. and my neighborhood is pretty decent.There are also some nice townhouses in this area. i will say the one area north of glendale you dont want to move to is the sunnyslope area.Its about from 19th and dunlap to 12st and dunlap....then it goes north for about a mile to peoria.Check a map to see what im talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif