Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To move the rear axle or not, pros and cons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I just ordered my 0-rates from ORD to go with my shackle flip. My plans are to pull my Procomps 4" springs and install BDS 4" springs, 0-rates, shims and move the front axles 1.5" forward. I am also installing a custom built 5.5" rea shackle flip with 0-rates to net me about 5.5" in the front and 6.5" in the rear. The question is, should I move my rear axle back 1",1.5" or just leave it where it is? Is there any pros or cons to moving the rear axles back? Thank in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

A pro would be that you will improve your departure angle. A con would be that as your shackle folds up your tire moves toward the rear of the wheel well and now you moved it closer so you may have to trim. On the bright side though you probably won't have to trim the front of the rear wheel well.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

In your case, I would just move the rear axle back far enough to line the tire up with the wheel well and to keep it off the fender. On my truck, I moved the rear axle back 5" and the front forward 1.5" My factory shortbox truck now has a 125" wheelbase.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i moved mine 1" to the rear, over 1/2" of that merely offsets how the shackle flip + revolvers move the axle forward.

j

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

How much would you want for your ProComps?

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well, they are not mine, I traded them with some cash for my BDS springs,shackle flip and front 0-rates. I will PM you with the username who they belong to now, you might be able to work something out with him. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen