Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

To much water... engine prob.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Oct 28, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Today i happened to drive through some flooded street.. kinda fast so it just blasted up over my window and such, nothing deep though maybe to rim on 33" mt, just sprayed a lot. I did it 2 times... and as i was turning around away from the water my truck starts to stall and spudder.. im like great it was suckin some water in then. So i give it some gas to not let it stall out.. and the motor starts making a knocking noise.... greeeat i thought to myself, so i get off the gas.. its idleing ruff, i let it sit for a min.. start driving it again no more knock, but when i gave it full throttle it would start to cut off on me. finally about 5mins goes by and its running perfectly fine again.. no more noises the rest of the day i drove it, i know i def. need to change the oil.. doing that tmarow, but why would it make a horrible knocking noise? could parts inside gotten reallllly messed up from just making water spray over my roof and getting some in the intake??

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Chances are you soaked your filter with water, which caused a fine misting inside of the engine, and a lack of air due to the soggy filter. The knocking could just be detonation in the cylinder due to the mist of water (I do beleive so anyways)

Just change your filter, and check your oil for water, you'll probally be fine though. If you did any permenant damage, it wouldn't have gotten any better.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You also probably soaked your distributor . I did that in my Chevelle a few times in the early 90's for fun .